Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New honey super  (Read 2473 times)

Offline tejas

• House Bee
    • http://www.A-1gutters.com
New honey super
« on: April 16, 2005, 07:53:19 pm »
I'm planning on putting on my first honey super tomorrow and it’s new with undrawn foundation. I remember reading a post that suggested putting the new box between the two broad chambers for one week and then moving it to the top help get the bees to draw the new foundation. Just wondering what a few more of you think about this good ideal or not?

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
New honey super
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 08:09:31 pm »
I wouldnt reccomend spliting up the brood, it makes it very difficult for the bees to regulate the temp. to keep the brood alive. If you split it up they may just abandon the smaller bunch of brood to keep the larger alive.
Bee Boy

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
New honey super
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 11:22:10 pm »
I would do that either. Once they make cells they will just fill it with brood and that will make the wax dark. And as Bee Boy said it will kill the smaller amount of brood broken away. bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
New honey super
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 11:26:15 pm »
If you put it on top with no excluder you'll have no problems getting them to draw it if there is a flow.  IMO that's a better choice than between the brood boxes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything