Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2nd hive inspection  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
2nd hive inspection
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:21:27 am »
Hi all,
    Second inspection went well.  Had a plan and a smoker that didn't go out :)  About 4 brood frames that are starting to take on the standard look; capped honey on the edges, a band of pollen.  Noticed some drone cells as well - not much at all but they are there- lots of very calm bees - saw some larvae - not any eggs but I have a hard time seeing them anyway - also didn't see the queen but with the larvae and capped brood - I assume all is OK.  Still building out some frames with comb....

Thanks to everyone who has posted to give me the confidence and nerve keep moving forward

Chris in NJ

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: 2nd hive inspection
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:04:06 am »
one suggestion.  if you take pictures of frames while you are out there inspecting, you can see all kinds of stuff you missed when you load the pics on your computer.  i think it was Cindi who suggested that years ago. 
give it a try.  not only will you be able to see eggs, but you'll get a chance to re-examine your frames at your leisure.

glad things are going well so far!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Re: 2nd hive inspection
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:06:44 pm »
That is why I like my frame holder so much.  I realy do enjoy getting pictures of what is in the hive and showing them around.  A lot more people like to look at the pictures than those that like to look into the hive up close.  I also found queens that way and saw eggs that I hadn't seen in the inspection!