Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nice swarm in Orlando today  (Read 4149 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Nice swarm in Orlando today
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:13:53 pm »
Got a call from a car dealership in Orlando this am. I had to be down that way to pick up some windows for a job we're doing in Leesburg anyway so I stopped and picked 'em up on my way.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Nice swarm in Orlando today
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:29:29 pm »
Nice way to save fuel.  2 for 1.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:25 pm »
Do you get many swarm calls this time of year??

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:19:44 pm »
Allen, I told the owner of the (very uppity bmw/mercedes/porche) dealership that there must be a colony of bees pretty close. As we were leaving I got a call from a building owner just a block away that has a colony in the block wall of a huge industrial building...about 40 feet up in a block wall. I'm pricing it for him tomorrow :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:22:13 pm »
Annette, this is the land of eternal summer (heat). I'll get swarm calls until the brood break in Dec/Jan and then they pick up again in March.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:33 pm »
You da man.   Let us know if that hive is inside the hollows of the blocks.  Do you have AHB genetics in your area yet?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »
Never ending beekeeping!! I hate to say it, but I really look forward to winter when I can take a break from beekeeping. I feel like I am putting the girls to bed when I get them ready for winter. I have worked really hard all season to take care of them nicely and I feel really good when things are looking good in the Fall and I say goodnight to them.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:27:37 pm »
They're here supposedly...I've run across dry swarms and pissy colonies, but nothing that I would consider africanized.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:36:18 pm »
Annette, I almost envy the rest of the country. We may have active bees all year (or close to it), but we don't have really strong honey flows like elsewhere. The girls are always bringing in something and we do have two kinda major flows...orange blossom and Brazilian pepper (which should come in starting next month) but it's more like a trickle compared to some places. A yearly average honey crop here is around 70-80lbs per hive. What the girls bring in they consume.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:39:23 pm »
That is amazing as I thought they would be bringing in nectar most of the year.

So what are you envious of??  The amount of honey some others get??  I can tell you that I have my bees in the worst location and hardly get any honey for myself. In fact, they usually do not even make enough for themselves. Imagine how I feel when I read about how much honey others are getting.

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 03:48:28 am »
Wow, good size swarm, catch the queen?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:04:35 am »
Nice Pic and Nice Pick   :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:36 am »
No video? Come on man I wanted to see you holding that lil Mai Tai umbrella!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 12:31:39 pm »
I think Scott is holding out untill schawee post his :-P :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 05:27:12 pm »
Hey now...I already posted my initiation and I'm not holding my breath for schawee (anymore anyway... :-D). JP, we had the video camera with us but I wasn't even there for 10 mins and setting it up didn't seem worth it as I was late to get to the job 90mins away. I'll make sure to film some more soon.

I've been doing a lot of VERY small cut outs for two different utilities...mostly in water meter boxes. I don't think the bees stay in the boxes more than a week or so and sometimes there's only 2-3 fist sized combs...doesn't make for very entertaining video.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 08:36:34 pm »
If you film them you can do a montage of them all or have a few on one video, a few on another.

We'll let you know what we find interesting or not, you just get that lil Mai Tai umbrella out and go to work man!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything