Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Call Me Grumpy! June 22, 2009  (Read 5893 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Call Me Grumpy! June 22, 2009
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:22 am »
You'd be grumpy also if you had to go through what I did last night! First off, the apartment was supposed to be vacant(not!) and the building owner and myself had to move furniture, etc... for me to access TWO large colonies.

I did the huge one first, no vapor barrier, lots of bees, lots of honey, took some decent pics of this one.

The other one, no vapor barrier, a little less comb, albeit they built into the next wall section, but a ton more bees in the other section and later on in the process they decided to be just as grumpy as I am this morning. I may not swell as much when I get stung anymore, but they still hurt, especially the ones in sensitive areas and the repetitive areas, my fingers and neck.

Let's not forget the one I took over my right eye, that one actually gave me a china ball, and no I don't have a picture of it (too grumpy for that shot!)

Sorry, I didn't get many shots of the second removal, but well, I just wasn't quite into it, with the roaches everywhere and stinging bees, it just wasn't the most fun removal. :-P

The one thing that kept me going through all this was listening to my tigers edge Texas out in game one of the best of three in the college world series. Man, those Texans had a pitcher in there throwing 97 mph fast balls. Lord have mercy, not many major leaguers can throw that kind of steam!

Well, here are the pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/June222009#

First set is one I did Friday, (what was in the roof section) 2nd set is one I'm estimating, others are from last night.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Call Me Grumpy! June 22, 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:48:22 am »
Cool pics as always JP! They tore you up a bit huh?

Man it was a shame you missed watching that game last night it truly was one of the best games I ever watched. What ever team had won it would have been deserved. But I am sort of glad it turned out the way it did!

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:07 am »
Glad to see you back on Keith!

Keith, I just really hate doing removals with brick exteriors. They are a royal pain in the you know what, often enough!

I got back home after 11pm, showered, ate, got on here some and watched the news highlights of the game. I wish I could have watched it. They play tonight again right? Them bears still leaving your hives alone?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:11:41 am »
JP it sounds like a fishing trip is needed after all of that. Setting the hook on a big fish is as much fun as picking up a big ol' swarm.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:22:51 am »
A fishing trip with Bailey sounds real good about now! Last Wednesday, the rip was further out than we were, we had a great trip, but we always hope to find the rip with sargasso grass full of Mahi Mahi. Would love to be fighting a big amberjack right now!

Another thing that sucked about last night is the bees attached comb to the sheetrock on the second colony, so removing the sheetrock was painstaking.

...JP

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:38:22 am »
I went and checked them for bears I did not see any evidence. My uncle was the one that saw the mother bear and cubs and also the one that saw the paw prints near my hives. He is a very reliable source, but again I didn't see any thing. More than likely the mother bear was near my hives in search of h2o in the canal behind the hives due to the local drought.

Yes they play again tonight @ 6 on espn

And also glad to be back

Keith

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:24:28 pm »
JP, interesting pics, too bad you couldn't show us the picture of the China ball.  That was the weirdest expression I have ever heard, what is it?  I wouldn't doubt for a minute I would be pretty grumpy too after what you went through, smiling.  Have another beautiful day, to love, live and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:14:39 pm »
Cindi, I just knew you would comment about wanting to see my china ball or swollen cheek, actually, its not swollen anymore. It was rough Cindi, those bees put up a fight!

Hey, how's the rock pile today?

...JP ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:51:03 am »
Quote from: JP link=topic=23267.msg179574#msg179574 date=1245777279
Hey, how's the rock pile today?
...JP ;)
[/quote

JP, I think you have rock pile envy.  I think that I am going to torment you, and keep it top secret about how that rock pile is really doing, smiling, na, na, na, na, na, na......have that wonderful and awesome day, love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:55:13 am »
On a clear day, they say Cindi's rock pile can be seen from hundreds of miles away.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 10:59:59 am »
JP, oh you brat, you're baiting me.  Guess I'll take a picture, the grass is kind of grown up around the sides, it may be almost covering it by now, smiling.  I know you want to see a picture, I know you wanna.....look tomorrow morning for a great and most wonderful picture, smiling.  Just for you, JP, you'll see it can reach the stars, smiling.  Still trying to figure out how to bring it with me when we move, that great and wonderful day....Have an awesome day, to love and live your life, and huge wishes of great health.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 11:07:14 am »
Cindi, it would take two life times to bring that rock pile with you. Just start another one at the new pad. They have rocks where you're moving to, no?

ooh, you gonna take a picture, gonna put the Canadian flag on top?

...JP

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 03:22:04 pm »
Wow! That's a lotta bees!!  :shock:

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by a 'vapor barrier'?
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 05:57:46 pm »

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:18 pm »
http://www.ontariotile.com/vapour_barrier.html
Thanks, JP.... I guess I'm still unclear as to what part this played in your cutouts. Does a vapor barrier - or absence of one - affect the bees' choice of housing, or their behavior? I'm green on this.

~ Aristotle

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:39 pm »
JP, you'll get a kick out of this.  Last summer my Brother-in-Law made a sign for my rock pile, it didn't stay on the pile very long, someone pushed it down  :shock:.  Have that awesome and great day, health.  Cindi

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 07:00:41 pm »
Hi grumpy...sorry just couldn't help myself  :evil:  :-D Hope your stings are healing well.

That is a lot of bees, are you able to collect most of them in a cut out this large?
Have you noticed a hive from a cut out seem to survive/or build up better than a swarm, a split or a package?
Do you make more than one hive and add a queen from a colony this size, or keep them together?
Great pictures! Thanks for always sharing with us.

Patti

Believe!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 03:49:41 am »
On a clear day, they say Cindi's rock pile can be seen from hundreds of miles away.

...JP

I'm going to start me a rock pile.  Only mine is to build a few ripple dams across my creek to slow the flow and reduce erosion in the creek.  1st pile is going right at the property line, I have a wide spot and can make a nice pond a few feet deep.  And since the creek's dry in the summer now's the time to start.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 10:43:20 am »
Brian, before starting that rock pile, you may want to consult with the president of the rock building comittee. She may need to issue you a special permit before you begin, especially if you're going to build one that can reach space, like her's does. I think she even has a book you could read for tips as to what rocks are best for atmospheric pressure changes. Best of luck!

Cheryl, when bees build between brick and blackboard, there are no restraints as to where the hive can go, directionally. Between the blackboard and sheetrock there should be framing which boxes them in and the hive can only expand to within that area, this makes life a lot easier!

Patti, my favorite hives begin as swarms I have caught. They routinely build at rates that will surprise you. All of my hives are cut outs or swarms, or splits thereof. If they have feed and are strong they all do pretty well.

Cindi, please help Brian with his rock pile. ;)

...JP

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:15:05 pm »
JP, thanks so much for the explanation! I know very little about building(s). I could tell what you were saying was significant, I just couldn't quite grasp it. I learn something every day -- thanks for the knowledge! :-D

I have sort-of a rock pile... Pieces of my collection usually end up as decorations in cement stepping stones. I'll bet my rock-pile isn't anywhere as big as yours, Cindi!!

~ Aristotle

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 11:17:53 pm »
Congratulations on the cut out   sorry you have so much trouble with the bee

Johnny

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:14 am »
Hey JP, my rock pile is going to be linear as in rock fence or dam, not that Tower of Babel that Cindi has.  Also, my is going to serve a purpose other than granite storage.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 10:36:00 am »
JP, you never cease to amaze me, keep on keepin' on.  You have helped me to get my rock pile into the Guiness World Book of Records, smiling and a great big kidding here.  There will be more rock piles in my lifetime, but probably never as big as the one that I have created, hee, hee.

Brian, I bet you have rocks galore, now is the time to start to prevent erosion for surely.  I have found many a really cool rock amongst my throws.  Beautiful days, to live and love, health.  Cindi