Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Acrylic paint over Enamel Paint???  (Read 9626 times)

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
Acrylic paint over Enamel Paint???
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:23:43 am »
Hi everone,

I have several old langstroth boxes I obtained from a friend. Most of them are in good condition but need repainting. All of them except one have been painted with enamel (oil based) paint, and I want to repaint them with an acrylic (water based) paint, as I believe this to be a superior paint.  

My first question is, do I need to strip the old paint off, and if so, how? I've been told that painting acylic over enamel isn't ideal :shock:.

My second question is, would it be a good idea to treat the boxes with something like linseed oil before painting, or would this create problems with the paint adhering to the wood?

I don't know anything about painting  :roll:  so please help !

Thanks guys  :twisted:.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:01:58 pm »
It is not advisable to apply latex over oil so, yes, strip the old paint off. You can do  this by either heat stripping, or just sand it off if you have an electric hand sander.

No, do not apply any oil, linseed or otherwise before painting! If you want, buy a good exterior primer and prime them before you paint. Good luck! :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:35:49 pm »
I guess I question whether it is worth the effort to strip them.  If they are old and appear to be in good shape, then I guess the oil base paint must have done a fairly good job.   I would just paint them with the oil based paint and let it go at that.

But its your sweat to strip them, not mine.   Have fun..... :D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 08:20:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.  

I think i will sand it back and apply an acrylic paint. My reason for doing so is two fold: I have lots of acrylic paint and no enamel, and I think the acrylic paint will last longer.

All I need to do now is fix one of my sanders.

Seeya  :mrgreen:

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 11:55:34 pm »
Well if I am correct acrylic wount stick to oil based paint very well at all, well at least it dosnt in art and I am an art 4, 2 more levels to go!!! Bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 02:37:25 am »
I spoke to the guy at the paint shop. Apparantly you can get acrylic undercoat which adhere to oil paint, and then you can paint your acrylic over it. There's one more option for me.

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 11:27:20 pm »
I have been in the heating and air conditioning trade for the last 29 years.
One thing I have learned is that a home or structure that has been painted with oil based paint will hold in moisture longer than one that has been painted with water base.

Rich V.

anything