Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Newbee question  (Read 4093 times)

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
Another Newbee question
« on: October 04, 2008, 02:19:17 am »
Hi Everyone!  I have another newbee question.  I've decided to use screened bottom boards when I start up next spring.  I have heard slatted boards help with ventilation.  Are they helpful or neccessary if one is using SBB's?  I'm in rain country here in N.W. Washington by the way.  Thank you all for the help so far.  Winenutguy.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Another Newbee question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 06:32:40 pm »
Try to keep your colonies located on as high ground as possible .
I would not use slatted racks, just screened bottom boards.
The slatted rack was designed "supposedly" to cut draft down at the hive entrance, so the queen would lay eggs father down and to the front of the frames. Turns out most bee keepers don't use it and consider it just another useless piece of extra equipment that cost extra $$$ and gets in the way.
Some others on this forum may tink diff.
Stay 18 inches or more off the ground.
doak

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:44:01 pm »
Thank you!  I kind of thought it might be overkill but I thought I would ask.  I plan on building a hive stand using some treated wood and cinder blocks.  The hives will also be inside a 50" by 22" fenced area.  We are also going to have chickens here in a sperate coop but the bees will have there own fenced area so the bees and chickens will not interact.  If this becomes an issue later I have an alternative sight for the hives.  Thanks again!  Winenutguy.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:51:02 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the chix & bees.  My ladies (the chix) are into EVERYTHING and follow me all over the yard. When I am fiddling with the bees they are intensely curious but don't try to eat any of them, not even the dead ones on the ground.  Don't know if they got stung or just know not to.  The bees are the one thing they leave alone! You will have a blast with your chix, they are so funny!! It is surely fall today in the PNW!! UGH! J.
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:36:43 pm »
Really neat how "most" animals/fowl seem to know what is good and what is bad.
Seems they have a built in sense of knowledge about things like this.
But I can name one that don't seem too.
The toad. They don't have any knowledge of what a "blister" beetle is.
If they happen to catch one, they will turn their swallowing  mechanism inside out.
Then the poor fellow has to use his feet to rake it off, because of the sticky substance they have in their mouth.
doak

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:05:04 pm »
If you really want a slatted rack, just screen the bottom and prop up the lid to make a top engrance and save your money and don't buy the SBB.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:48:44 am »
Thank you Mr. Bush.  Your website has been a huge help to me and a great influence.  You and Mr. Conrad have convinced me to go with SBB, small cell, foundationless, no chems. or antibiotics and much more.  Many many thanks for you all your time, effort and advice.  It is greatly appreciated!  Winenutguy

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:58:45 pm »
If you really want a slatted rack, just screen the bottom and prop up the lid to make a top engrance and save your money and don't buy the SBB.

I've gone to bottomless hives, 10 inches off the ground and use a slatted rack w/o screen, if I were to use screen on the racks it would be 1/2 inch.  The rack creates a dead air space thats serves as insulation, the slats themselves keeps out most predetors, and without the screens to catch mites, wax scraps, etc, everything falls to the ground where it is hauled off by ants.  For some reason, with a bottomless hive, the ants stay out of the hive.  I guess because they have access to what they want from the hive being dropped in front of them. I've attached rails on which to slide mite boards, if needed, or to use as entrance reducers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:02 pm »
I'm really looking forward to our meeting Brian!  Best, Winenutguy

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:26:29 pm »
YAYS, we will get stories tomorrow!!  You will love Brians place, he has all sorts of critters.  You will have to tell us if you smell Mr. Stinky whilst there.  It was so funny, all us girls were soooo grossed out & non of the guys could smell him!  The pigeons are beautiful.  By the way Brian, the ones you gave me are doing great & getting more beautiful every day.  Their temperments are much better than Earl's, although the male will "twitch" his wings when agitated! :-D  There is a link to my pics somewhere here, either farming or coffeehouse.  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard