Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: found queen cells!!  (Read 3938 times)

Offline jelder

• New Bee
found queen cells!!
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:45:24 am »
just checked my hive and gave them a top out on syrup.  also noticed two queen cells, one opened and one still sealed up.  is this normal, the cells were in the top parts of the frames
whut!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: found queen cells!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:48 am »
just checked my hive and gave them a top out on syrup.  also noticed two queen cells, one opened and one still sealed up.  is this normal, the cells were in the top parts of the frames

They are either supersedure cells or emergency cells. I would not touch them. I also would leave this hive alone for the next 3 weeks to allow the new Q to mate and get control of the hive. If you keep inspecting during this time, sometimes they will blame the new Q and ball her. I have a hive that has a new queenthat hatched 3 weeks ago that I plan on checking on this week.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:54:35 am »
dude thats weird? in the middle of winter, has it bee really warm there?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:35:57 pm »
Got drones?

Offline jelder

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:35:11 pm »
eco, not really, usual tassie winter, blue skies but the temp is fairly low, and i didnt see any drones but it was a flying visit so i didnt really look hard :mrgreen:
whut!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:39 pm »
Did you see the old Q. Hopefully if the new Q hatches, she won't kill her mother. Happens all the time.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:03:06 am »
I wouldn't expect you to have any drones yet - you might find that both the old and new queen will reside together - one as a virgin

anything