Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Last day to do a cut-out?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Last day to do a cut-out?
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:22:01 am »
With the unpredictable weather patterns we've been having, I was wondering what you think would be the absolute latest date for a cut-out - for my location.  I was thinking nothing past the end of August.  What about you?
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
Re: Last day to do a cut-out?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »
I do them and accept jobs till the end of September and will go out for a
strong looking colony even in the Fall, Winter. If bees are there, they are gettable.
Just not much business when bees aren't in the air much, nobody notices them.
I get 3-5 calls a week , but they are dropping off now and I get to take care of
my own bees. I was up till 2am making 30# of candy last night.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »
I usually try for the beginning of August,  but that may be more because I find them built up so big and so loaded down with honey that it is a lot of work :roll:   Boy those spring cut-outs with limited honey stores and low bee populations are such a joy.   I wouldn't go much past the end of August though.  You still want a few weeks of good weather for them to get things in shape after being ripped apart.  

After July,  I usually try and convince the homeowner to wait until spring.  The bees stand a much better chance of surviving the winter if they have a few months to recover,  especially if you have queen issues.  Unless it is a recent swarm that would be easy to deal with,  they have been living with the bees for a while and a few more months shouldn't be a big problem.  There is also the chance that they won't survive the winter which means less $$$ for the homeowner to spend.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:07 pm »
With goldenrod being available right up until frost I feel better about late season removals but even then I consider our first average frost and back that up 6-8 weeks, which puts me around the first of October give or take. Even then I expect to feed through Nov-Dec. After the 1st of October I try to put off till spring but almost always its removal or else to the client so I will do them late if I have to. The latest ones more often then not are boosters for other colonies that need bees.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »
I go along with Robo.  I've got two or three more cut-outs to do - July 31 through August 5th. I'm a little leery about doing anything past late August.  The calls still are coming in, but not as fast and furious as in the spring.  Awesome spring for swarms and cut-outs!  Lots of calls for wasps right now but I just give free advice on these.

"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:16:34 pm »
Wasp and hornets are easy money.....Pretty quick and no honey/comb to deal with...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:09 pm »
Robo,

What do you do to take care of wasp calls??

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:39:12 pm »
If it is an external nest I just suck it up with a shop vac with a long wand.   If it is in a wall  I put a funnel trap on it with a tube into a rubbermaid container half filled with water and dish soap.  With ground nest, a piece of plywood laid on the ground with a tube hole cut in it placed over the entrance works well.   I know some states have strict laws on what you can and can't do without an exterminator licence.   If water and/or soap is a no-no, than an empty clear rubbermaid container in the sun is another options, but may take a few more days for them to die.

Offline ApalacheeRiverFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 03:41:00 pm »
how do you guys get so many calls?  I don't really know any other beekeepers and have been interested in doing removals to increase my hive number.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:12:06 pm »
Maybe you're not getting calls because you are "hopelessly lost".  :lau:

But seriously, try listing yourself on Bees on the net.  Great resource.  And get friendly with a couple of local exterminators who don't mess with honeybees.  I know three or four who are constantly referring me to honeybee calls.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:20:03 pm »

I never felt comfortable advocating anyone kill anything - including wasps.  IMO there is always a solution without doing this.  Nature has a way of putting things into balance without us interfering like that.    Most people call me about nests that are way out of harms way anyway.  If not, I suggest a live removal.  I might try doing one myself sometime.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 08:14:21 pm »
heh there are easier ways to get bees than removals, Ill concentrate on swarms next year for sure! lol  ALOT less sweat and stings.  But to the OP, it really depends on where you are.. for instance Beek1951 is in central Tx, im in se Tx,  We may see 32 in the winter once!  In september during teal season, Im wearing sandals, shorts and t shirt.  We dont really get as cold as soon as NY.  I think you look at where you are about a couple of months out from some really cool weather (50ish.)  You can feed alot during this period and get them built up with bees and stores.  Have the syrup there for them as backup to a fall flow.  If they want it they will take it.

anything