Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much honey in a Qt. canning jar?  (Read 57530 times)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Re: How much honey in a Qt. canning jar?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 01:43:46 pm »
Well I took the easy way out. I bought jars that stated one poiund jars. I filled them weighted them and they weighed 1.lb and 1.4 grams. works for me. one jar one lb.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 07:42:23 pm »
Of course if you're talking physics you have to take M (mass) x G (force of gravity) = N (newtons).
 This simple equation can help you figure out how much to sell your honey for on different planets! :-D
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 09:58:34 pm »
This has always confused me...I thought a gallon of honey was around 12 lbs.

But a quart only holds 44 oz, that is 11lbs per gallon.

So which is it? :?

He's saying that he only puts 44 oz in his quart jars because that is where he likes to fill them to.  I've got pint squeeze bottles that hold enough honey to weigh in at about 27oz.  It's all just a matter of getting everything labeled right for what you have in there.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 10:40:56 am »
Selling honey by weight must date back to all comb honey times.  Bottled honey is liquid.  Sell it by volume like everything else.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 11:56:02 am »
Selling honey by weight must date back to all comb honey times.  Bottled honey is liquid.  Sell it by volume like everything else.

What are you talking about?

I just went through my fridge. Welch's jelly......Net WEIGHT.  Smuckers....Net Wt.  Squeeze basil....Net Wt.  Ritter Marzipan.....Net Wt.  Grey Poupon.....Net Wt.  Mustard, ice cream syrup, sour cream, pickles, cat food, and so on. All sold by weight. Many things more liquid than honey are sold by weight. So it is not "everything". Seems like there is no real reasoning from one item to another.

I stopped looking after about 20 items for anything that did not sell by NET WT! Items sold by Fluid amounts are juices and milk, and probably newer products on the market that have since fallen into some category of fluid measuring. Yes many liquids are sold by fluid amounts. But honey has been measured out for many years in pounds and they have kept that tradition.  

Try to find a label for honey that is not with "Net wt."

I think you are way off on this. Traditionally honey has always sold by weight. one pound jar, two pound jar and so on. There are many items such as hot sauce, salad dressing, and many liquid items sold as fluid measure. But those are not the long standing traditional items, such as with honey.

I'll dig through the paperwork when I got certified with my honey house. At that time, I went through the "weights and measure" department for labeling requirements. I'm almost certain that the variation of what was in the bottle had to be within a certain tolerance of what the label indicated, and that tolerance was measured in weight. If you say there is a pound of honey in the bottle, it better be real close, and even going "over" was a violation. You must sell exactly what you claim to be selling.

Why anyone would not want to sell honey as the consumer has come to expect and know, is a mystery to me. I can talk clearly to anyone about how much honey is in a two pound jar of honey. (two pounds!) But start mentioning 32 oz.....and far less will get it.

I guess you can always mark a jar and "guess" if you fill it "about" this much for fluid measuring, MAYBE you will have the right amount.  :roll: Most beekeepers don't have fancy calibrated liquid bottling machines that can dispence exactly 44 FLUID oz.  But traditionally, a beekeeper have always been able to put a jar on a scale, and measure out 1 pound.

Some jars are a little different from one company to the next. a real problem needing to find out where 44 fl. oz and how full it needs to be. But weighing it,....no problem.  ;) Pull out a scale and you know with every type jar.

For anyone just getting into bottling honey, do yourself a favor. Measure by pounds. Your customers have come to expect this, and it is far easier for you.

I have a good collection of different style pint and quart jars. And the differences in the amounts each holds is incredible. I think some hold far more than what you think, while others are far less. I've seen some pint and quart jars (with handles sometimes) used in the restaurant business for serving drinks, and they are very misleading. I've also ordered "pint" style jars from different manufacturers and what they are selling is a jar or bottle, and certainly nothing that is made to hold an exact amount of anything.

Sell by pounds...... :-D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:19:25 pm by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 06:11:38 pm »
Really, I buy my ice cream by the gallon.  I never have even looked at the weight of jelly, but I buy it by the jar, not the weight.  Think about it.  Do you really compare the price of these things by weight, or are you just siting the fact they have weights?  a quart of of honey is a quart of honey, just like a gallon of ice cream is a gallon of ice cream.  I suspect the idea came from the days when random jars and buckets were used and it was easier to weigh it than measure it.  It still is easier to weigh on an assembly or bottling line, but I sell a hand packaged commodity, not a processed and automated.  There is no law that says you can't sell by volume, at least here, so that's what I elect to do.  If I sell by weight, I have to weigh them, at least for every batch.  Not happening here.  And by the way, pints and quarts have legal definitions.  Don't believe it, ask a Brit.  I can measure it with a measuring cup and be right on, and my mark on the jar won't vary with the density of the honey.  Your weight will.

(Abbr. pt. or p.)
a unit of volume or capacity in the U.S. Customary System, used in liquid measure, equal to 1/8 gallon or 16 ounces (0.473 liter).
a unit of volume or capacity in the U.S. Customary System, used in dry measure, equal to 1/16 peck or 1/2 quart (0.551 liter).
a unit of volume or capacity in the British Imperial System, used in dry and liquid measure, equal to 0.568 liter.

a container with a pint capacity.
The amount of a substance that can be held in such a container.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 06:35:07 pm »
Ross,
Geeez! I could not even get through the first sentence without being confused.  :?

Why the comment about ice cream? I never mentioned ice cream. Of course it's sold in half gallon and gallon, as well as quart and pint. Your point???

And no, it's the other way around...2 pounds of honey is two pounds of honey. I bet most who think they have a true pint or a quart, are way off. Who is going to measure out a fluid liquid amount and mark the jar, etc. Just getting it out of the measuring cups throws off any true measure. I bet your average guy couldn't even use a measuring cup correctly... ;)

I bet most grab a pint looking jar or a quart looking jar, and simply have co clue as to what it really holds. They just fill it up and slap a label on.

On the other hand, weighing the amount, leave NO doubt.

Original question was "How much honey in a quart jar. Answer... depend how much you put in it. Easiest way to know....weigh it.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 06:39:34 pm »

(Abbr. pt. or p.)
a unit of volume or capacity in the U.S. Customary System, used in liquid measure, equal to 1/8 gallon or 16 ounces (0.473 liter).
a unit of volume or capacity in the U.S. Customary System, used in dry measure, equal to 1/16 peck or 1/2 quart (0.551 liter).
a unit of volume or capacity in the British Imperial System, used in dry and liquid measure, equal to 0.568 liter.

a container with a pint capacity.
The amount of a substance that can be held in such a container.

Yeah.....I see many beekeeper measuring out and dividing 1/8 of a gallon. Or 0.473 liters...... :lau:

How about explaining how the average person does that, assuming you actually need to know what goes in the bottle....  ;)

My way....weigh it. Really simple.

There you go jdesq.....measure out 1/8 of a gallon, for a pint, and add pints together till you get to a quart..... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »
a pint jar holds a pint guys.  Measure a pint of water, mark a jar, done.  Just the same as weighing a pound of honey and marking a jar so you know how much to fill it.  Or are you going to tell me you really weigh every bottle?  Didn't think so.  Difference is, every one of mine will be a pint.  Yours will vary with the type of honey, how dry it is, whether it's filtered or not, how humid the weather is, etc.  The bottom line is, my customers are just as happy buying pints and quarts as your's are buying pounds and ounces.  It doesn't matter one wit which you do.  It's not a religion and it's not a law.  Just as long as you say what you did, it's fine.
Bjorn, when was the last time you went to the store for 3.34 ounces of Grey Poupon?  Would you have declined if it had been 5 fluid ounces?
www.myoldtools.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 07:54:15 pm »
weigh every bottle.... :lau:  Come on Ross, get a grip.

What I'm suggesting is what you said. As long as you label what is in the bottle, no complaints here.

I'm just suggesting to new beekeepers who read here....

1)Honey has traditionally been sold in pounds. Pick up the ABJ or any other thing that reports honey sales...and it's always has been in pounds. 1 pounds jars, 2 pound jars, etc. With the exception of gallon jugs.

2) All labels sold in the bee mags and from bee supply companies have "net wt." Of course you can custom order your labels. But I'm just suggesting that it is much easier to stick with what the industry has always used and is in easy supply.

With that said, I see no reason to confuse or continue confusing every new beekeeper who gets started.

And I'll still say, that those pints and quart jars come in a variety of sizes. I have supposedly pint and quart jars that vary very much.

Maybe some government loving beekeeper can now ask the politicians since we now have a standard of what honey "is" that goes in the bottle, to now set a standard to how much goes in.... :roll:

BTW....from past discussions from most who take pride in selling honey from pints and quarts, mainly in the south, they way under charge for their honey... ;)

My advice....Stick with 1 pound, 2 pound and perhaps bears which are big sellers. You'll be selling what MOST of the public knows, have labels marked with "new wt", and probably sell for a better price.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 11:49:29 am »
a pint jar holds a pint guys.  Measure a pint of water, mark a jar, done.  Just the same as weighing a pound of honey and marking a jar so you know how much to fill it.  Or are you going to tell me you really weigh every bottle?  Didn't think so.  Difference is, every one of mine will be a pint.  Yours will vary with the type of honey, how dry it is, whether it's filtered or not, how humid the weather is, etc.  The bottom line is, my customers are just as happy buying pints and quarts as your's are buying pounds and ounces.  It doesn't matter one wit which you do.  It's not a religion and it's not a law.  Just as long as you say what you did, it's fine.
Bjorn, when was the last time you went to the store for 3.34 ounces of Grey Poupon?  Would you have declined if it had been 5 fluid ounces?

You're right.... most pint jars will hold a at least a pint, but many will hold much more.  I bought pint queeze bottles and they hold better than 2 1/4 cups of honey.  Surely they will hold a pint, but they will also hold however much will fit under the lid.  I can bet that is never exactly what you are thinking it is.

Also, if you are wanting to get technical with volume then your customers are getting more honey on a day that it is out in the sun and has gotten warm then on a day that you have pulled it out of storage and is cool, or the jar that has already crystallized.  Honey will change volume by temperature, but the weight won't change.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 12:21:37 pm »
Isn't this,
           :deadhorse:  over & over     :deadhorse:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 03:46:11 pm »
IMO ,, you sell how they are use to ,,,   
a pound of butter is 2 cups ,   when was the last time you wrote on the list to buy 10
 cups of butter ???? 
you say you buy a jar of jelly ,, you do not know if it is sold by the pound or pint  ?? 

but when you sell by the pound you have to by law weigh the container ,,  and then
 add your pound of honey ,for a total  ..

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 08:27:39 pm »
Isn't this,
           :deadhorse:  over & over     :deadhorse:

Bee-Bop
                     What about honey stixs how much do they weigh  :-D  :lol:  8-)  ;) RDY-B

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »
 :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :piano: :yippiechick: :deadhorse: :yippiechick: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :locked:

Hey....It's a dead horse party!

And as soon as it's tender enough, were eating good grub!
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 08:51:26 pm »
I weigh every jar 3lbs for quarts and 24 0z for pints then add a little more for good measure some people think that I am cheating myself but my customers keep coming back so i'm happy.

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 09:14:29 pm »
A bit off topic - and I do of course get the lesson from this thread... but I just wanted to say that I am intrigued by what you folks have in your refrigerators.  :)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline brooksbeefarm

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 12:08:20 am »
In Mo. you must have a lable with your name and address and net wt. I can only get 46 oz. in a qt (golden harvest, brand) i can get 24 oz. in a pint (golden harvest). I also sell 12 oz. and 24 oz. bears, clam shell boxes of comb honey 8 oz. and 16 oz. We have to tare weigh our containers before we fill them. You have to have an approved kitchen ( inspected by the health dept.) and the state sends the weight and measure inspectors around to check your scales ( and charge you $5.00 for checking it). Yes we weigh every container, these laws applies if you sell at farmers markets or wholesale it to a buisness. If you just sell from your home or farm you still have to label it with your name and address and net wt. I sell at the Fair Grove, Mo. Farms Market and from my home, sometimes i wonder if it's worth it. :? Jack

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 01:33:08 am »
a bit off topic - and I do of course get the lesson from this thread... but I just wanted to say that I am intrigued by what you folks have in your refrigerators.  :)

I think I know what you mean ,,,  was in Germany ` 1 1/2 years most there ,, at that time food shopped all most every day ,, in the U.S. some shop once every 4 to 6 weeks .. You would not want to see my fredge.. 

Offline Chick

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 04:16:33 pm »
Man you guys got big pints, my pints way a lb. remember the saying ,, a pints a pound the world around.
16 US ounces of honey weigh 1.36 pounds (or 0.615 kilogramm) and for good measure, lets say a deviation of + or - 5gm. specific to the water content.

22 ozs = 1.37 pounds. So, how do you figure that he has big pints. He has exactly what you are saying. There is a difference between ounces of mass and ounces of fluid. That old saying, is just an old saying.

anything