Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Telescopic Tops  (Read 6674 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Telescopic Tops
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 08:44:36 am »
The moderator was kind enough to post two pictures showing my cover.  It is sitting on top of the wrapped hive for a top view and the underside and entrance on the other picture. 

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:02:21 am »
Ok.. so your ventilation is in the upper deep as opposed to the Cover itself?  Lower entrance closed off completely?   Same principle I use with the sugar on top for winter, though your wrap looks like it probably has a bit more R value than my roofing felt.  Thanks for the Pics!!!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline dirt road

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 10:20:05 am »
Vance G;
Do you make or purchase your hive wraps? I'm in a high desert too. Winters are cold, relatively dry, and windy here. So far have used migratory tops for about 8 months of the year and tele. covers during the worst of winter, though I'm beginning to hate having to keep and store the extra gear.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 09:38:44 pm »
The wrap comes from B&B honey in Huston Minnesota.  What you see is the 23 inch wrap and it covers the two deeps, the feeder rim, the sound board and 2" insulation over that.  I duct tape it tight after I put the mountain camp sugar on about now and check again in mid February to see if they need more.  It is supposed to be R 3.7 insulation but the durable plastic to keep out the wind is more what I want.  I am reusing them for the third year and they still are holding up.  I staple it and remove staples with hive tool as I do not try to get them sunk all the way in and use 9/16 length.  The system is working well for me, but might not in wet country.  With the hole bored under the handhold in the upper box, I think it would.  I have only found the sound board to be soggy on a couple hives.  Never figured out why them and not the one next door.

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 08:26:56 am »
Try "Advantec" .  It's a high quality OSB that is very weather resistant.  Won"t swell up or warp, But it's heavy.  It's used primarily as decking for floors of houses.  I have it on a couple of hives.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:29 am »
Try "Advantec" .  It's a high quality OSB that is very weather resistant.  Won"t swell up or warp, But it's heavy.  It's used primarily as decking for floors of houses.  I have it on a couple of hives.

Advantech...   wax impregnated plywood.. Guranteed for 50 years, EVEN if submerged in water... I used it for my ROOF and floors when I built my new house in Maine.. that was... 20 years ago?  When I built my new house here in Iowa they told me at the lumberyard they had never heard of it.. i just assumed it wasn't made anymore.. where did you find it?

Moots

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »

Advantech...   wax impregnated plywood.. Guranteed for 50 years, EVEN if submerged in water... I used it for my ROOF and floors when I built my new house in Maine.. that was... 20 years ago?  When I built my new house here in Iowa they told me at the lumberyard they had never heard of it.. i just assumed it wasn't made anymore.. where did you find it?

OldMech,
I wasn't familiar with it, but did a little looking around after seeing it mentioned....I'm definitely interested.

Here's a LINK to their site! There's a "Where to Buy" link at the very top of the page.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 05:56:35 pm »

Advantech...   wax impregnated plywood.. Guranteed for 50 years, EVEN if submerged in water... I used it for my ROOF and floors when I built my new house in Maine.. that was... 20 years ago?  When I built my new house here in Iowa they told me at the lumberyard they had never heard of it.. i just assumed it wasn't made anymore.. where did you find it?

OldMech,
I wasn't familiar with it, but did a little looking around after seeing it mentioned....I'm definitely interested.

Here's a LINK to their site! There's a "Where to Buy" link at the very top of the page.

Lumber yard about 50 miles away is the closest place that has it. Wish I had known that two years ago. Thanks Moots!