Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 weeks and no comb, should I be worried?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline bozbee

• New Bee
3 weeks and no comb, should I be worried?
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:13:33 pm »
Added my supers just over 3 weeks ago. Checked them yesterday and nothing built on top of the starter comb. The bees are climbing all over it of course and I see them going in and out of the hive with yellow pollen on their hindlegs, but nothing. I admit that the coldspell killed all of the bloom and although we've had some pretty days the mornings have been quite cold. Thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: 3 weeks and no comb, should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:06:16 pm »
what are they doing with the pollen?  what kind of foundation did you use?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:11:26 pm »
Are you feeding them? They need to be fed to stimulate comb building. If you just leave it to food they get from nature then you'll never get any honey for yourself this year and possibly they won't overwinter.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:18 pm »
Do you have an excluder?  Is there a nectar flow?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:18:06 pm »
I have 1 of my 4 packages doing the same thing.  They are foraging but not taking much syrup and seem to be setting one starter strips instead of building comb like the other hives.  I might have to break down and put frames with foundation in and reduce the hive size to a nuc to get them started.  I'm going into the hive again tomorrow and will make my discission on what I see then.

Meanwhile, the local beekeeper's meeting is tonight with a class on queen rearing on the agenda.  A definite must attend topic.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!