Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New beekeepers in Central IL  (Read 2346 times)

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
New beekeepers in Central IL
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »
I've been talking about wanting to keep bees for a few years, mainly for pollination in the garden but also to get a little honey.  After starting more research last fall I bought equipment for one hive, I got talked into two for comparison purposes and to use one to possibly help along the other if needed.  Ordered stuff for another hive and got bees delivered the last weekend in April.  Caught a swarm 3 days later and got it hived.  10 days later I caught another swarm AT WORK!  Then I had 4.  This past weekend I bought two more complete, year old hives from a local guy that found out the hard way he was severely allergic and his wife and Dr. said the bees had to go.  I'm up to 6 and in dire need of more woodware.  I guess we jumped in with both feet, good think I really enjoy it so far.  I've got 4 kids ages 8, 5, 5, and 3 and the 3 older kids are pretty interested in the bees and not afraid at all.  I've brought out a couple kids to see the bees and a homeschool family from Cub Scouts wants me to do a bee lesson for her kids out at the hives so they can experience it.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: New beekeepers in Central IL
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »
Welcome! On your next order get 10x the amount of equipment than you think you need!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
Welcome! On your next order get 10x the amount of equipment than you think you need!

Scott

That'd require 10X the amount of money I have.

I have a personal rule not to go in debt, even for a billing cycle, for a hobby.  If I can't pay cash I don't really need it.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum DLMKA

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »

Welcome to the forum,DLMKA.  On extra wood ware, I know what you mean.  I bought 3 hives late last fall, was going good, then 1 week last month caught 6 swarms.  I gave 2 to another beek, I was out of boxes.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:52:07 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:54 am »
Welcome to the site!