Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first cutout?!?!?! Help!!!  (Read 16401 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: My first cutout?!?!?! Help!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 12:36:52 pm »
understudy, you need to post your cutout supply list as a sticky on this forum so that it doesn't keep getting lost.  it was very helpful to me.  i think i only added a couple of things and i don't remember exactly what they were.  if you post your list, we can add the things that we found useful also.

I will see about doing that later this evening I am trying run Permacomb to the Post Office. It is a very good idea.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 12:47:17 am »
Sean,

I have 2 chain saws and a compound pully.  We are going to need to de-limb the tree to just above the hive entrance.  Then make an 'A" frame or tripod over that from which the compound pully will 1st hold, then hoist and lower the bowl of the tree with the bees in it.  Know where to get some 20 ft 4X4s or alder saplings?   I also have a 1/2 ton come-a-long and few other things you'll need so bring your truck. 

If we do it right we can get the bowl of the tree and leave nothing but fire wood behind.  Once we have the bowl moved to your place we'll worry about getting the bees from tree trunk to hive body. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 07:44:00 am »
Ya'll better take pictures so make sure you have a third person or tripod along or we ain't believing ya'll no, not even a little!  ;)

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:12 pm »
Wow!  I just got back from checking the tree out.  It's going to be easier than I originally thought.  The guy who owns the tree already cut all the limbs off and all that's left is a tall stump.  He got all but one limb when he noticed bees coming out of the hive.  He's allergic to bees so that's when he called me.  I took the other limb down with his chain saw just to make it a little easier.

There are three enterances.  The main enterance to the hive is about 10 to 12 feet up, much better than I originally thought.  There's another on the back side which isnt being used any more.  And on the very top where the tree broke off during a windstorm years ago, causing the tree to rot and make these bees a nice cozy home.

The knot on the main enterance is about 3 inches in diameter and 6 inches deep.  With a flashlight I could see the comb down inside, a very dark almost black in color.  Did not see any bees outside the hive but one or two foragers did come in and go down inside.  The owner said the bees were very active and wasnt sure why nothing was going on today.  It was very cold last night and pretty windy this morning but the sun came out today and the wind calmed down.  My bees at home were going to town, so I'm just wondering if it takes the tree longer to warm up cause it's thicker?

I got a close look at one of the bees coming home and she looked just like my Italians, same coloring and everything.  DEFINATELY a honeybee.  Even had full pollen baskets.

My grandfather has some scaffolding that I'm going to use that will put me right at the correct height.  I think what my game plan will be is with a chainsaw, cut open the face of the hive exposing the comb.  Cut the comb out, place it in my frames, and then level the stump off where the bottom of the original hive was.  Then I'll just place the new hive body on top of the stump so the returning bees can come back to their new home.  I'll just leave the new hive there for a couple weeks so they get used to their new home before taking it down.  Seems like an easy plan, right?

When I move the hive, should I wait until night when the bees are all back at home?

And when placing the natural comb inside the frames, should I wire the frames first and just squish the comb into the wires or is there another way?

Very cool and I'm totally excited!!!

I'll post my pics as soon as I get them uploaded!!!

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 10:39:38 pm »
Here's the tree to give you an idea of what I'm working with:

Me taking a peek down the enterance:

Looking down the bee hole.  You can see a couple dead bees down in there.  Sorry, couldnt get a clear shot of the comb:

Here's a "Darwin Award" waiting to happen!  Running a chainsaw over my head, standing on a ladder, with a beehive in front of my face!:

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 10:48:21 pm »
First Beekeeper now...............wood BUTCHER!

Great pictures!

Good luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »
Sean, see if you can determine where the bottom of the hive is. The tree seems kinda hollow so if the hive doesn't go all the way down, I would cut the tree off below the hive and lower it to the ground. The hollow parts aren't usually that heavy. Then deal with it on the ground.

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 01:12:22 am »
Sean, see if you can determine where the bottom of the hive is. The tree seems kinda hollow so if the hive doesn't go all the way down, I would cut the tree off below the hive and lower it to the ground. The hollow parts aren't usually that heavy. Then deal with it on the ground.

....JP

That's what I would suggest.  Cut it off at ground level but secured so it doesn't fall over, then work down to the comb from the top.  Once the top part of the comb is exposed would be the time to cut a slab off the front to open the cavity.  Personally, I would cut it down to the top of the comb, cut a hole in a bottom board and seal or screen all the other entrances so the bees are forced to enter and leave through the hive.  After a week of that it might be that they've begun to build comb in the hive.  Then is the time to do the appendectomy on the trunk.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 11:23:18 am »
I would not wire the frames and try to squish the comb into it. Just get some rubber bands to hold the comb in the frames. The bees will secure it to the frames.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 08:34:12 am »

....JP

So how do I determine where the bottom of the hive is?  This tree seems to be pretty much still alive and pretty darn solid.  The treebranch I cut off was already budding and I guess before the owner lobbed all the other branches off and discovered the bees, the tree was alive and full of leaves.  I took a 5 cell maglight and tapped on the sides of it, all the way up and didnt find any shallow spots.
My assumption of where the bottom of the hollow might be is where the "alive" branches came out from the trunk about halfway up.  I'm still looking at moving a pretty solid 200+ lb hunk of wood over my head while standing on a ladder.

I like Brian's idea of cutting the top off the tree, down to the comb, and putting a hole in a bottom board, sticking a hive body over the hole and sealing up all the enterences.  Think this would work without taking the whole hive off the trunk?  Heck I just thought I'd tear the whole trunk apart and just rob the comb out, slap it all in some frames, cut the tree down and leave the new hive on the old stump for returning bees to come home to.
The owner is highly allergic to bees, my dad is deathly afraid of bees, my grandfather is too old to be climbing ladders.  I'm pretty much in this by my self.  The easier the better.

Sean Kelly

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 10:07:28 am »
If you have a long enough drill bit you could start drilling holes from the ground up every six inches or so until you hit a hollow spot. Then determine if there is any hive debris (as in stuff found at bottom of hive) or wax, honey, bee parts, on the bit. 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 10:41:53 am »
Could you use a stethoscope and listen for activity? Cut below the sound.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 10:59:32 am »
I would do what Jerry has suggested. Steve stethescopes believe it or not have very little use to a person who does removals. I rarely use mine. It probably wouldn't tell you much on this tree. Even on walls and such they are not good at pinpointing the specific area where a hive is located. They pick up on sounds from far off, sounds that interefere with your ability to hone in. They are in a sense too sensitive and at the same time not sensitive enough.

....JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 09:02:45 pm »
before the folks destroyed the tree and hive, i was going to do one.  i had planned to screen up the hole(s) at night and then (hopefully) take the entire hive section home the next day before trying to transfer to supers.  my thinking was that i would (hopefully) lose fewer bees, feel less rushed, not have panicked people with bees all over the place.....not have to move them twice.

is this an option for you, providing you don't cut into the middle of the hive when you cut the tree :-)?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 02:36:04 am »
Sean, I have a stethascope.  Also some old brace and bit augers so we can do it both ways.  I still think putting the hive on top for a few days, the coming back and cutting the stump below the hollow and sliding it onto a trailer or back of a pickup is the simplest solutiion. 

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 12:57:16 pm »
Sean don't let your wife see your "Darwin" pic!!  I can help if you need me to.  I'm booked Sunday but Sat I can help.  No experience in this area but sturdy back, fetch, carry & hand skills!  Also am not afraid of any animals (except sharks) but have a healthy respect for all & don't get flustered or hysterical, well, not till things are over & have time to think bout "what if"!!  Let me know!  Is the location close by?

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 01:03:09 pm »
i think we need a collection of 'Darwin' pics.  there have been several from members.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 06:45:23 pm »
Oh wow, I just stumbled onto this thread!  WOWIE....what fun, excitement SK!! Can't wait to hear more!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:26 pm »
i think we need a collection of 'Darwin' pics.  there have been several from members.

Too bad I don't have pics of me cutting into my leg with a skill saw last Thursday, that woulda been a good one. Twenty stitches and 9 staples later. Healing nicely though.

....JP

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 11:38:33 pm »
Holy Moses JP!  But I see that all day in at work...My first ER patient layed the full length of his anterior thigh open with a chain saw... :shock:  Hope you are quickly on the mend!