Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storing frames with foundation.  (Read 4221 times)

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
Storing frames with foundation.
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:10:11 am »
I am interested in how you all store built frames with foundation. As I am just starting out and don't know if there is much of a problem with wax moths here in Nebraska, I will have to assume there is. I am building up extra boxes and frames with foundation so when I need to add another one on I am ready to go. However if wax moths are around what steps do I need to assure I don't have problems storing them?

TIA,

Ron
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Storing frames with foundation.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:10:05 am »
I'm between Omaha and Lincoln.  Here's what I do:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm#Control
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:49:39 am »
Wax moths won't bother foundation.  Drawn comb is another issue.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:31 pm »
Drawn comb goes into the freezer for a few days.   Then I have a commercial glass front fridge that I can store 30 or 40 boxes in, at room temp.  It seals up nice to keep the bugs out. 

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies. This gives me a better idea of what I need to do to minimize Wax Moth problems.

Michael, must have missed the info on your website the first time I looked for it. As always great info.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »
I stack drawn supers 5 high.  I place para-moth crystals on a piece of cardboard on the top super then cover with an inner cover and top.  When spring flow comes around, I offset stack supers outside for 3-4 dry days and plug a fan in to blow air through them.  They're clean as a whistle with no smell. 

Offline SkepWrangler

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:47:14 pm »
What would you do protect comb that has SOME honey in it?
For example, if there are multiple supers full of frames with fully drawn comb and each of the frames has some crystallized honey in the cells in the centers of the frames.  Is this a "never expose them to Para-Moth" situation?
This is a big issue here because Mesquite honey and others are highly prone to crystallization.
If these types of frames can be safely stored in the Fall & Winter, the bees will--in the early Spring--clean them up before the flow.  That is IF they can be protected from moths in Fall and Winter.
Thanks,
SkepWrangler

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:00:14 pm »
In Neb. it gets cold enough you can keep the supers out on the back porch where they will freeze a good part of the winter. Set them up on their end, or at least at an angle so the light can get to the frames.  Between the cold and the light, the moths will stay away.  But keep'em out of the rain or they will mildew/mold.
linda d

Offline bens

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:10:44 am »
two things I've done this summer:
1. Pulled 5 frames put them in rubbermaid container with tight fitting lid, and put in the dark garage, 1 week later they were infested with wax moths and hive beetle. Put them in the freezer to kill the bugs.  Will pull out when it gets a little cooler and see if the bees can clean them up and salvage any of the honey.
2. At the same time, I had a deep full of drawn comb, some with  areas of capped honey, set them out in a deep box in the yard, and put a translucent lid over it, not tight fitting and the bottom of the deep box is open.  - its about 200 feet from my hives.  No wax moths, no beetles only 2 or 3 bees at a time on the frames. 

So my question is; if there is light (indirect sunlight) on the frames do the bugs leave it alone? 

Offline SkepWrangler

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:19 am »
if there is light (indirect sunlight) on the frames do the bugs leave it alone? 
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the question.
In my experience--which does not involve SHB--wax moths do not leave comb alone just on the basis of being exposed to light, including sunlight.
I look forward to hearing what others have to say.
Regards,
SkepWrangler

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:53 am »
The only problem i have ever had with storing installed foundation in frames and supers is mud wasp  can make nest on the foundation if they find a way into the stacked supers, also if you handle foundation roughly in cold weather it can break.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »
I also use Para-Moth in stacks up to 8 medium supers with foil on the bottom and top. I also put some pepper around the base of the stack to deter ants.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »
I pull them and spray them with BT and forget it.  It's like spraying it with little land mines that only detonate when the Wax moth larva stomach acid activates the spores.  Then it's like "Alien" as the spores eat their way out.  It's also a great thing to spray on old drawn frames in swarm traps.  You don't have to worry about Wax moths destroying your frames.  I didn't care for the smell of para moth or having to check and see if there's enough left to keep the Wax moths off until you used those frames again.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

anything