Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cinnamon Role Hive---August 6, 2009  (Read 4997 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Cinnamon Role Hive---August 6, 2009
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:30:02 am »
I had over two hours driving time, one way, to get to this location. It was for the University of Louisiana or ULA ("Oolah") located in Lafayette, Louisiana.

The ground's keeper hired me to remove the bees. He could not find anyone willing to come out, who would remove them live.

Wait 'til you see how this sweet little colony built their combs, quite incredible really!

The drive was nice, the people were nice and the bees were even nicer.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/August62009#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Cinnamon Role Hive---August 6, 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:20:20 am »
Such creative artistic bees. When they can do whatever they want, they really have some fun.  Glad you had a great time, considering the long drive.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:01:39 am »
That's really cool JP... just like an overgrown finger print.. wonder if they had any affiliations with a police force :roll:

Mick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:28:21 am »
If I had to bet how the combs were laid out before I had removed the top plywood section, you'd have thought they'd look something like this: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FvGGBoOT_FWbRUXsazdf7A?feat=directlink
or this: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5uiSCGEOrpddZ7ke12Oclg?feat=directlink

I've seen some weird shaped combs before but usually its because the comb sections were adjacent to or around something in the void space that forced them to shape the combs differently. This colony did this all on their own for some reason beyond what I would call typical. Pretty interesting design, I'd say.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:47 am »
Were they clost to the frat house or art department buiding  :-D

I guess that blows the whole east to west or north to south comb building idea out of the water for sure.

Never have seen anything like that either, dizzy bees maybe, very interesting.

Thanks for the pics JP.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:17 am »
That is very cool it is a big finger print you may have a lead on a major crime there lol JK. 
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:00:42 pm »
it's kind of strange, but i bet they could fit more comb/cells in there by doing it that way.  how often do you find something like this in smaller spaces, but not in the bigger one?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 02:46:59 pm »
Perhaps they had a wild night before comb building began... Drinks all around, girls! :cheer:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 01:16:41 am »
it's kind of strange, but i bet they could fit more comb/cells in there by doing it that way.  how often do you find something like this in smaller spaces, but not in the bigger one?

Kathy, I can't recall ever removing a hive that made comb like this. I set them up in a deep and a medium this morning, queen was in one of the unpainted inner boxes.

I actually am concerned they may want to swarm out, because they drew out such weird comb in the hive removed, and now they are in something that may be really foreign to them.

I wondered while removing them if perhaps they were thrown off from an external hive, they will make some weird shaped comb ya know.

...JP

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:17:17 pm »
That looks more like a Cinnamon HONEY Bun to me.....

Actually it does look like a rose too! Ah what a sweet scent that one would have!

Another caption could be: THIS IS BEES ON DRUGS! (Remember that old thing they used to have on tv about 'this is your brain on drugs'?)

Brenda

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »
That's cool.  I wonder why in spaces like that they don't connect very much (or not at all) to the bottom of the cavity, but in foundationless frames they do?

I don't know if it actually is, but it seems like you have a pretty cool job.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:00:18 pm »
That's cool.  I wonder why in spaces like that they don't connect very much (or not at all) to the bottom of the cavity, but in foundationless frames they do?

In this case, the bottom of the cavity was dirt, but to answer your question, in most cases they can only draw comb so far without hitting the bottom of a floor or ceiling etc... and literally don't have enough room to attach the combs to the bottom.

Inside a hive body there is a space between the bottom bar of the frame and the bottom board. The bees stop building at the top surface of the bottom bar.

My primary job is removing bees and relocating them.

...JP

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »

In this case, the bottom of the cavity was dirt, but to answer your question, in most cases they can only draw comb so far without hitting the bottom of a floor or ceiling etc... and literally don't have enough room to attach the combs to the bottom.

Inside a hive body there is a space between the bottom bar of the frame and the bottom board. The bees stop building at the top surface of the bottom bar.

My primary job is removing bees and relocating them.

...JP

Well, heck now that you point it out it seems obvious.  They attach to frames because there is still bee space outside of the frame.  They don't attach to top bar hives (much) because they wouldn't have any room left to move if they did.

That really isn't as obvious as it sounds.

I kinda gathered that your job was doing cut outs.  I was just speculating on whether it's as fun as it looks like from here.  Different locations every day, getting to see bees in all their wondrous varieties, etc.  I'm sure it isn't always as glamorous as it sounds like.  ;)
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 11:45:02 pm »
The bees are always great! Dealing with the public day in day out, that's why we have vacations! :flyingpig: :piano: :pop: :yippiechick:

...JP

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 11:53:40 pm »
The bees are always great! Dealing with the public day in day out, that's why we have vacations! :flyingpig: :piano: :pop: :yippiechick:

...JP

You've got that right.  The problem with the public is that it's lousy with people.  Nah, most people are alright - unfortunately those aren't the ones that you remember forever.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 11:01:03 am »
Most people are truly wonderful and I love all of my customers.

:lau:

No, but seriously, most people are wonderful!

In their own unique way! :-D

...JP

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 10:46:08 pm »
JP, I know that you have met some of the same people that I have....well, the same sort of folks. After removing bees for a few of them, I now just go to my truck and bang my head against the side for a few minutes....and keep telling myself how much I like people...... :-D

Those large dents in the side of my truck are not from bad driving! See...BANG, BANG, BANG... :lol:

I had an email not long ago that comes to mind....bees in a house that she wanted to put on the market in 3 days! It was a PLEASE hurry up and get back to me so you can come and get rid of my bees! I tried calling her, sent her some emails and still.....waiting on her.  :roll:

Now what do you want to make a bet....that she had someone spray the bees....and will call me back wanting me to come and remove them....when I am busy with something else.

Brenda

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 11:17:04 pm »
JP, that is awesome. I love seeing pictures like that, its amazing how they can build their combs just about anywhere and have it be still so precise. Everything fit together real nice.
I bet all that curved comb was fun to have to cut and put into frames. ;)
I have a strange craving for cinnabons now, in case they aren't where you are cinnabons specializes in amazing cinnamon bun variations mmm.
Jp how many cutouts have you done already this year, or do you even keep track?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 12:29:03 am »
Natalie, I don't always transfer combs, it just depends on the circumstances. My primary goal is to save the colony. This cinnamon shaped thing would have been a nightmare to transfer and rubberband the combs. Many of the sections were "c" shaped. These bees are doing fine and are being heavily fed. They are in a deep and a medium.

I glanced at the 2009 list but didn't count each individual entry. Some locations I removed more than one hive, so I don't have an exact count for this year yet, but we are over the one hundred mark.

...Jefroka

anything