Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees eating fallen apples ??  (Read 6523 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
Bees eating fallen apples ??
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:57:57 pm »
Hey there just was walking out in the yard and the bees are out looking at everything here. Me and the lil kiddo were buzed quite a few times its hard to tell a 2 yr old to not swat the bees !

THere out eating the fallen appels also..... Im feeding them allso so im not shure why they want the apples. I want them for the deer..... Hmmmm anyone else have the girls do wird stuff  ??

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees eating fallen apples ??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »
they are after the juice.  they will get on any fruit that is broken or dripping.  they go after my fig skins when i toss them.  don't worry.  they will leave the majority for the deer. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:36:21 pm »
I really dont care :) I was just wondering if it was normal behaivor. I put out another feeder for the bees cause the last one was getting to blocked.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:36:18 pm »
They can't eat apples, they also can't pierce the skin but they can suck the juice.  If they are, then there is a dearth as they prefer nectar.  The won't eat the apples, but the yellow jackets will chew them out and leave holes in them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »
they go after my fig skins when i toss them. 

When  figs start to get over-ripe on the tree,  wasps come and rip them open.  Once they are open, the honey bees are all over the figs.  They also love fallen persimmons.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:36 am »
same with grapes.  the bees don't chew them but they take advantage of the fact that others do.  my figs are starting to drip and everything is on them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:13:20 am »
Honeybees often get the bad wrap of ruining a fruit crop, in particular grapes. As stated many times above the honeybees normally don't pierce the skin of the fruit but are opportunistic where others have.
John 3:16

anything