Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees living in an old stove  (Read 2311 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Bees living in an old stove
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:32:31 pm »
I'm driving to Butler GA tomorrow, two hours south of Atlanta, to inspect the 10 hives we installed from packages last Saturday. 

The guys who are already down there report that there appears to be a hive of bees who have taken up residence in the oven area of an old stove left on the property.

Supposing that is true, how worried should I be that these might be Africanized bees given where they chose to live?

How would one approach a removal from a stove?  I assume I would cut out the comb and rubber band it into frames in a hive and then what?  Brush the bees into the hive with a bee brush? 

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bees living in an old stove
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:09:20 am »
I would not worry one bit about AHB.   Think about how many wild and weird places bees get cut out of on this site.   Do you have a bee vac? 

Do you think the stove hive was one of the packages that left out?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:46:55 pm »
Do as you posted, then remove what bees you can, spray beequick into the oven and the bees will come out. They will either go in the hive or gather on a nearby limb.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:51:39 pm »
Put down a white cloth that allows them to walk up it and into the hive.  It works.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:13 pm »
Will we be getting a 'mission accomplished' so we can see pics on your blog?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:28 pm »
Thanks as always for the help - they were gone when I got there.  One of our hives had absconded that we installed the week before, so I'll bet it was those bees.  We put a swarm hive right beside the stove in case that's a good lighting place for any other bees who are looking for a home!

It was an extremely challenging day but doesn't fit with this thread - I'll post it on my blog

Thanks, you all, for always chiming in when I need you. 

Linda T

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:29:47 pm »
"shock and awe;"      That's funny.   
I learned years ago to watch the bees space, but it happened with a swarm with me.   Dumped a swarm into a hive with an empty box on top to help catch them right at dark.   Brought them home and checked them the next weekend.   Nice comb on the inner top.   Nice post on your blog Linda.

anything