Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not propolis but not wax  (Read 10348 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Not propolis but not wax
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 07:17:11 am »
About the fire-starter idea.....Has anyone here ever made fire starters out of press sawdust? I have a friend who wanted to make some for an item to include in some gift baskets.

Are there any tricks or ways to go about it?

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 11:45:52 am »
I dunno about sawdust, but here's one from dryer lint, I'll bet you could substitute sawdust:

New Post  Fire Starters As the wind outside howls (gusts to 40mph) I am busy in the kitchen making "fire starters" for the winter and thought even tho this recipe doesn't include eggs, there may be others that will find this useful so I wanted to share my recipe:

A years' worth of dryer lint (at least I save this much as it will make enough for the whole winter)
Paper Mache egg flats (a couple dozen or so)
Several blocks parafin
Small tin coffee can

Put mache flats on cookie sheet or similar surface (I usually only do 1 flat at a time). Stuff each egg slot as full of lint as possible (I mean, really pack it in there) then start a pan of water boiling. Put a block of parafin in the tin coffee can and set in the pan of boiling water and melt it down and start another block of parafin. Once the wax is melted pour some over each lint mound in the egg flat until you can see the wax over the top of the lint. Do this for each mound of lint then set the parafin back in the pan of hot water. Now get a toothpick or something similar and stuff MORE lint in each cube but be sure to keep each little cube separate. Set aside to harden. Once hard, break off 1-3 cubes and place strategicly in fireplace, light edge of paper carton and viola! With these there's no need for kindling as they will burn long enough to get small logs going.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 04:25:49 pm »
pine cones coated with slumgum-best fire starter - :lol: RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 04:28:39 pm »
I've done saw dust and dryer lint.  Usually did the them in a half gallon milk carton cut endways.  Put the sawdust in the bottom as thick as you want the starters and poured in paraffin.  I usually went between 1/2" and 1" thick and then cut them into about 1" strips.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 10:48:22 pm »
One of our members here on the forum gave me this recipe, which I went ahead and made

Take eggcartons, fill with dryer lint, sprinkle sawdust on the top and then melt beeswax over the top to seal it all in.

I used it for my smoker once, but found the smoke burned my eyes so I figured best not to use on the bees.

I will use to start the woodstove this winter though.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 11:24:31 pm »
Get some of those lttle white desert or Hors de ours cups that are often used for mints and the like at parties and weddings.

Fill them with sawdust or shavings and pour in beeswax or parafin.  The make great fire or smoker starters.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 11:33:43 pm »
Sorry, stuck here, from something that I feel and have read over and over.  Nothing but burlap in my smoker, clean, blue smoke, (if you can call smoke clean at all).  I don't use anything but, have tried a couple of things like pine and Staghorn sumac flowers, but still stuck on burlap, are we hijacking this thread?  Thought it was about propolis.  Get another thread going about smoker fuels, hee, hee, again!!!  Get back to the original thread...... Have that most wonderful, awesome day and life, great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 07:53:27 am »
Cindi, I don't think they're talking about lighting the smokers with the firestarters, they're for fireplaces and wood stoves - at least the ones I posted are.  And yes, you are right, we've wandered off topic.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 10:17:19 am »
Ann, duh, guess I should have read a little better, eh, hee, hee.  Thanks for the clarification....have a wonderful life and day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 01:45:48 pm »
Its called, "Exploring" a topic, not "Wandering Off".
 I NEED TO EAT PROPOLIS SO MY MIND WILL STICK TO THE SUBJECT....

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 10:08:29 am »
John, oh you still makin' me laugh, yo' that funnneeee dude!!!  Have a wonderful life, day, great heath.  Cindi

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 09:02:01 pm »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 10:30:07 am »
1of6.  Nice and interesting picture!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful life and day, great health.  Cindi