Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeepers increase across the US, just kidding numbers still dropping  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/orl-beekeepers2407nov24,0,6119242.story?track=rss

Florida beekeeper refers to all those beekeepers going to California for almond pollination as that great sucking sound.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Beekeepers increase across the US, just kidding numbers still dropping
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:37:11 pm »
NJ has been giving away scholorships for new beekeepers. It comes w/ a three day course, equipment and a deep of bees. They value it at $300. As a result, there are many new beeks in NJ. Our little South Jersey Branch has grown to 54 paying members from 18 two years ago. Thats while a large number of oldtimers also left the club due to advanced age. It is truly growing. I can only hope this local trend continues and actually increases the total number of beekeepers. For a hobby beek, I can only say that keeping a few hives is not a lot of work. Once you expand and start to put hives off your yard, it gets to be a lot of work. I believe through the issues presented by CCD we are at a moment in time where we need to maximize our small window of notoriety and promote the heck out of beekeeping. I know, I'm talking to the choir.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Beekeepers increase across the US, just kidding numbers still dropping
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 06:21:27 pm »
That is so wonderful what they are doing in New Jersey. Wish they would do something like that here in California. Boy, when I think about how much it cost me to get this up and running.

anything