Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sucrocide vs smoke  (Read 2314 times)

Offline FredBorn

• New Bee
Sucrocide vs smoke
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:25:20 am »
I have been using sucrocide vs smoke when I work the bees.

It seems to have a more calming effect than smoke - plus it helps control the mites.

Any reason not to do this?

thanks in advance

fred - florida 4 hives

manowar422

Sucrocide vs smoke
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 06:18:59 pm »
Over use of any chemical is never good Fred.
If you inspect frequently, you run risks of harming
your bees and the mites developing a resistance.
Not to mention the contamination of your honey.
I've never used Sucrocide so I don't know what
the rate of application is...
I'd stick with smoke or sugarwater in a sprayer.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Sucrocide vs smoke
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:40:38 pm »
I agree with manowar422 on a few things, but sucrocide is not a chemical but it can be harmful if you use to much, that why they have certain instructions using it. I would use smoke or sugar water instead because like I have heard, I know if you use too strong a mixture they say it will kill bee's also but it has to be mixed right.....now I haven't seen this but thats what I have heard, I have a pint myself but never used it...... heres what sucrocide is >>>>>

SUCROCOIDE is non-toxic to the beekeeper and your bees. It kills varroa mites on the bees but doesn't harm the bees. Sucrocide is concentrated and needs to be mixed with water. You can use a garden-type sprayer or backpack sprayer to apply to the bees. There are two methods to apply Sucrocide. Number 1 Remove frames with bees adhering and spray both sides using a broad fine mist setting. Number 2 Spray the top of the frames to wet the bees using a Spray Boom (M00139SB). Bees must be completely wetted to kill the mite. Sucrocide must come in contact with the mites to kill them. Apply at first siting of varroa mites. Repeat applications at intervals of 7 to 10 days, up to three times per infestation, in order to kill varroa mites emerging from brood cells.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: Sucrocide vs smoke
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:56:59 am »
Quote from: FredBorn
I have been using sucrocide vs smoke when I work the bees.

It seems to have a more calming effect than smoke - plus it helps control the mites.

Any reason not to do this?

thanks in advance

fred - florida 4 hives

The sucrocide bottle come with mixing proportions attached in a small pocket glued to the bottle. IT IS NOT A HARD CHEMICAL or so it says.

There is a recommended schedule to apply this concotion, it is not difficult, just tedious. The mixture should be lightly sprayed on all the bees on all the frames. Can be a challange doing highly populated hive, and, it was, when I did it.

As far as using the concoction as a bee calmer I dunno. Might be a good idea if you don't get carried away.  Maybe sugar water does an  effective job of dislodging mites and the bees enjoy a nice feast, eatin' off each others back.

So here's what you do. Go in your hive, with a screen bottom board and clean  slide out tray, do the sugar spray and after 24 hours count the mites fallen on the board. Do the same with the Sucrocide. Then you come back and present YOUR findings to the class so we'll all know.  :wink:

manowar422

Sucrocide vs smoke
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:37:51 pm »
Based on their similarity to naturally occurring sucrose fatty acid esters, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) granted a biochemical pesticide designation to sucrose octanoate esters. Accordingly, the USEPA required limited data for federal registration of Sucrocide. Although the USEPA typically requires registrants of pesticide products to conduct a battery of acute toxicity studies (oral, dermal and inhalation toxicity, eye and dermal irritation and dermal sensitization) on both the active ingredient(s) and formulated product, the only new studies required for federal registration of the Sucrocide product were eye and dermal irritation.

Here's the report regarding the product's introduction
for use in the state of New York.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/propetamphos-zetacyperm/sucrose_oct/sucrose-oct_let_704.html">
Click Here To View Report