Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Shingle Springs, CA  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Beemistress

• New Bee
    • My dog/chicken/bee etc. blog
Hello from Shingle Springs, CA
« on: June 13, 2007, 10:24:11 pm »
Hi All!
I've been keeping bees on and off, never more than 1 hive.  Began to see the folly in that when all the bees disappeared this spring.  Maybe CCD?  Maybe just my poor beekeeping.  Since then I've decided to try and do better by the bees and have been reading more about them.  I bought a 3 lb. pkg with a queen and got my first hive populated again.  Then I got listed on the local bee supply store's swarm list and through their referrals I have collected 3 swarms this summer (so far).  I combined 2 of them in one hive, then gave the last swarm - which seems strong, its own hive just last week.  All 3 hives seem to be doing well now.

I'm excited to have so many bees now!  It feels strange to call them "my" bees, I think of them more as "companion insects" that I have induced to live in my garden.  I'm so glad to have found this forum too!  I looked and looked for an active beekeeping forum before finally finding this today.

I've never medicated my bees, but recently read "Beekeeping for Dummies" and thought maybe I should start.  But I have an organic farm and don't medicate anything else, so I was very glad to see your natural beekeeping forum.  I will be reading everything there, then the main board if I have extra time.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Hello from Shingle Springs, CA
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:40:16 pm »
Welcome,
I am sure you will enjoy your time here at the Beemaster  Forums.There are topics here for about anything you can imagine and folks are more than glad to help any way they can!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 01:36:27 pm »
beemistress.  YOu will love this friendly and informative forum, ask any questions, tell any stories.  It is a great place to spend some quality time.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:32:30 pm »
No dumb questions here beemistress, ask away and ppl will always be glad to help. i hope u find this site fun and informative.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:47:47 pm »
Hi Beemistress

If you have a moment, I live up the road from you in Placerville with 2 hives. Would love to get together to swap bee stories and check out your hives.

I am a new beekeeper with 1 year experience, but what an experience it has been. Many trials and tribulations to overcome and I have learned so much.

Send me a Private Message when you get a chance.

Annette

anything