Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee drinking water  (Read 15281 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Bee drinking water
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 09:56:13 pm »
I use a plant saucer inside another plant saucer.  I plant things in the outer saucer and have water and a brick in the inner saucer.  The bees are there all the time.  Here's a picture:

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 12:03:28 am »
I experimented with water sources all through last summer and the results were interesting. In every instance where I put out "clear, clean" water from our well (pans, buckets, etc) the bees shunned it. Their preference? Scummy run-off from our A.C system when it was on and water in the horse troughs where, alas, many drown despite efforts with floats, etc.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 07:37:22 am »
I like Tillie's idea.  Looks like it would work and would look nice in the yard too.  :-)

The only people in my neighborhood who have a pool are my parents who live next door.  They're also our landlords.  My dad is DEATHLY afraid of bees since he stuck his head in a nest of yellowjackets when he was a kid.  Of course he associates all stinging insects as the same thing: Bees.  It's taken me a long time to convince them in letting us have just one hive.  The last thing I need is our bees found floating in their pool.  I gota come up with something that would work.  Man, I can't tell you how hard I worked convincing him that my bees wont get in his food this summer.  :-)
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 09:59:07 am »
I experimented with water sources all through last summer and the results were interesting. In every instance where I put out "clear, clean" water from our well (pans, buckets, etc) the bees shunned it.
Add some chlorine to it.

I use to use a dogloo with sand.   Now we have a swimming pool :-P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:43:59 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 11:27:14 am »
Linda, oooooh!!!!  You do take such  nice pictures.  Now that is an idea worthy of entertaining at my place, even if it is for the growth of the plant.

Bacopa loves to be moist, that was a great idea to plant it in the planter.  Good for you.  Linda, keep bringing on the pictures.  I love to look at them.  Beautiful, have the wonderful, good day, full of good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 02:29:55 pm »
Not my own idea - I got it from Birds and Blooms

(http://www.birdsandblooms.com/dycon.asp?parent=34782&RefURL=&KeyCode=&tdate=&PMCode=&OrgURL=)

- original idea to be a bird bath - added the brick for the bees.  They often sit on the brick and suck up water from the porous brick.  I've not had a drowned bee there since I added the brick.

LT busy at work

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 02:49:25 pm »
Placing sticks in the water might reduce the number of dead bees in the water.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 03:44:59 pm »

what ta hell is it? totem? shrine? maybe a sacrifical altar? who would know.....

oh, no just a bunch of thirsty bees :-D

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 04:10:07 pm »
How cool is that!  I love the drinking troughs!

Linda T

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 12:55:38 am »
Linda, thanks, I'll check out the site.

Mici, now that is something else.  Did you construct this floater?  Very nice art work, (I do presume it is a picture of your bees).  You have an inventive mind, go for it.  Best of the beautiful day, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 01:01:50 am »
Robo, that picture is very interesting.  BUT, you have sparked my curiosity, I can't see all of the picture, so I would love to know what on earth is a dogloo?  Probably something I know of, but have no clue unless I get more clues.  Have a wonderful day, great health.  Cindi

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 04:26:10 am »
well, it wasn't me who constructed it, i only gave the idea, anyway, there wasn't much construction, he only built up one more layer of bricks. all material is OLD, from a castle ruin, the main two rocks were brought here mroe than half a century ago, while the bricks were "looted" now, but we didn't ruin anything, only picked them up. some really FINE bricks were made 200+ years ago. you don't see that kind nowadays

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 09:28:28 am »
Robo, that picture is very interesting.  BUT, you have sparked my curiosity, I can't see all of the picture, so I would love to know what on earth is a dogloo?  Probably something I know of, but have no clue unless I get more clues.  Have a wonderful day, great health.  Cindi

That's actually a picture of a feeder, but the waterer is the same with just a smaller hole. I just filled the bowl with play sand.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 10:17:47 am »
Robo, nice.   Now I know.  That is a great waterer/feeder surely.

My dogs have fresh water I give them all the time outside.  But honestly, their preference is the darn toilet.  It is flushed so many times a day around here, that I honestly would have to say that it is the cleanest water around.  I only wish that they could learn to lift the toilet seat, it is a pain in butt (ha, I made a funny), always gotta look before ya sit.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, sun is gonna shine, think I am gonna now my lawn that takes about 2 hours from start to finish.  Cindi

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 10:31:38 am »
I only wish that they could learn to lift the toilet seat, it is a pain in butt (ha, I made a funny), always gotta look before ya sit. 

Ah,   Now I can blame it on the dog :evil:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 11:39:35 am »
Robo, right, I do actually always check to see the colour of the liquid drops on the toilet seat, ha, ha, it is always clear!!!!  I bet if your wife saw you say that, you would be in trouble!!!!  Have the wonderful and beautiful day, good health.  Cindi

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 01:58:20 pm »
I have a curiousty question regarding bee drinking water and deer.

I have a neighbor who has a spot for deer to drink water from. And my bees, which are about 1/4 of a mile away, have found his water trough . 

He claims the bees are keeping the deer away...

Have you all heard of that? Do bees keep the deer away from the water trough?

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 02:12:49 pm »
Have never heard of that. If i knew that would work I would put a watering hole in the middle of the flower beds to keep the deer out of them. I have deer that feed around may hives. So I don't think that the bees are keeping the deer from drinking his water he has out for them. Have a great day

James

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 03:17:33 pm »
ermmm, look at the the picture of my bee-water-supply (previous page)
well, the cat jumps onto it and drinks out of it, now i don't know if cat's are more bold or something but somehow the cat scares of the bees-for those few minutes.

Offline prisoner#1

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2007, 09:16:48 pm »
My dogs have fresh water I give them all the time outside.  But honestly, their preference is the darn toilet.

I used to have a sign over my toilet that said "please flush the dogs waterbowl after each use"

anything