Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found some pictures  (Read 5956 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Found some pictures
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
I didn't know hubby had taken these.  He was on top of the chicken coop and took this shot of just about the whole backyard.  You can see my whole veggie garden from there.  This photo was taken 5/28/08, some of the beds still didn't have soil in them yet (I moved them from out front):

Here is a shot from another angle taken 7/6/08, you can see how things have grown:

I've also just added the peastone between the beds I think I mentioned in a post somewhere.  I have all kinds of cobblestones in the yard, so I used them to make edges to contain the stone.  No mowing between these beds, the way we had to when they were out in the front yard!  I need to buy more soil for two of the beds, but that'll have to wait - I'm tapped out right now.  Here's a shot of the paths in the garden:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Found some pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:25:46 am »
Nice set up you have there!  The pea gravel really makes for less work & a more "finished" look.  Also helps conserve moisture to some extent if it's deep enough! Is that sun tea I see on the table??? mmm!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:08:46 pm »
Yes it is, Jody, I make it constantly as long as the sun cooperates!  My youngest son loves it, too, he takes it to work with him. 

Everything is all finally coming together.  The biggest projects out there now are to properly install the walkway (I want to buy those edges, whether metal or plastic, run them down either side of the flagstones and lay the flagstones in a stonedust base) and then finally put in the lawn.  Oh, yea, and fence in fron the corner of the garage over to the other side of the yard, so I can let the chickens range a bit but keep them out of the garden.  They'll have an enclosed run and all, but when I'm home I'd like to let them have a bit more freedom - without the mess they make in a garden proper!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:08:39 pm »
Just beautiful, beautiful garden.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:27:56 pm »
Very nice Ann, the peastone does add a nice finished touch, you add honey to the tea?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:23:31 pm »
No, JP, either a sprig of mint or a slice of lemon.  I don't much care for sweetened iced tea.  Now my morning cuppa has honey and a little milk in it.  That's the only tea I add sweetener to, my morning cup of East Frisian blend.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:30:48 pm »
Ann, I just noticed that your name is my middle name!! Don't sweeten my tea either except for Earl Grey in the winter w/a spoon of condensed milk..oh my goodness THATS comfort tea! Don't do it often though..it's addicting & very fattening!! JP, I make iced honey latte's, they're really good! ;)  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:51:31 pm »
Great garden!  I guess you don't have any problems with 4-legged pests? (rabbits, raccoons, deer, etc.) Where are the hives?
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 08:13:03 am »
Great garden!  I guess you don't have any problems with 4-legged pests? (rabbits, raccoons, deer, etc.) Where are the hives?

As a matter of fact, I'm looking at a huge rabbit right now.  There are three of them out there, but for whatever reason, they don't go into the garden and eat anything - they're too busy eating the 'lawn', they seem to go mainly for the white clover and plantains.  There are raccoons and deer, also, but they don't come by too often, although now that I've got chickens out there I'll bet they'll be around more often.  :oops:

The hives are down back past the asparagus, in the photo from the roof, they're just to the left of the coop.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 10:38:11 am »
very nice. Like to see other gardens and how people deal w/ weeds etc.  My rabbits eat the squash flowers, but for most part are ok. Its the chipmunks i cant stand. they take a bite of everything, while rabbits eat one plant to the ground. They dont ruin a whole days worth of harvest.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 07:15:40 pm »
   Cool.  Your garden is about the size of my backyard.  One day... Great pictures!

Never thought of feeding them BEFORE the got to the buffet! ;)
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:51 am »
Ann, OK, you got my curiosity peaked, what is sun tea?  Never heard of it.

Wow!!!  Your place is looking like quite the thing of beauty, it looks to me like you have been working your brains out, for surely, for surely.  I love to see pics of gardens, the work that goes into them I know fair well.  I love the pea gravel between the beds, and yes, it surely does finish it off.  When I get some time, I am going to show some of the gardens that we have been working on to get going.  My gardens this year are nothing like what they normally would be.  They are coming, thanks to my Sister who has does most of the veggie garden stuff.  The weather was just so bad until middle the end of June, it was hard to get things in.  But, hey then, maybe that Indian summer coming on.....beautiful and most wonderful day, loving our great lives.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 07:31:30 am »
Cindi, sun tea is just iced tea brewed in the sun.  I take a piece of cheesecloth and fold it into quarters, put six teaspoons of whole leaf tea in it, close it up with a rubber band, put it into my brewer with a gallon of water (actually that brewer is a bit short of a gallon, unfortunately, my bigger brewer broke last year) and leave it out in full sun for four to six hours.  It comes out great!

I'm sorry I haven't been here much lately, I check it daily but am so busy, and spending a bit of time at Backyard Chickens trying to learn more and more about my new girls.  We still have bees, though, and will always come here to my beekeeping friends!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20:35 am »
Ann, the sun tea sounds really nice, sounds like just a simplistic way of life, funny thoughts, but it takes me in my mind's eye to the time before electricity and this would be how a tea would be brewed.  Funny how my mind thinks.  I have been wondering where you have been, I know I am not on our forum too much anymore either, just too much to do....beautiful day, loving and living this great life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline HEATHERNAY

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:18 pm »
woah!!! did she just ask what suntea was??????????  I guess I take living in the desert for granted....I make suntea all year round here in Arizona!!!  LOVE the garden! I miss the pine trees of Flagstaff (where I grew up). I cant wait to start over again next spring with new things for my garden..and I think Im going to try a winter garden for the first time. Just dunno what to plant yet....
Heather

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »
woah!!! did she just ask what suntea was??????????  I guess I take living in the desert for granted....I make suntea all year round here in Arizona!!!  LOVE the garden! I miss the pine trees of Flagstaff (where I grew up). I cant wait to start over again next spring with new things for my garden..and I think Im going to try a winter garden for the first time. Just dunno what to plant yet....
Heather

I lived in Phoenix Az for 1 year when I was in my 20's. Just beebopping around and ended up there. Well I could not understand what was going on when I saw all those jars of liquid sitting out on peoples lawns during the day. Surprise!! It was suntea being made. I started doing it also. Wonderful way to make tea, just let the sun do the work.

Also if you want to plant stuff the bees will like, then do a search on this forum or ask in another post and you will get lots of information.

Take Care
Annette

anything