Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Have epi-pen  (Read 6272 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Have epi-pen
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:04:25 am »
I know this sounds crazy, but my Dr. gave me a presciption for an epi-pen, because I have many visitors and some people have expressed concern about being allergic to bee stings. (Thought I would just keep it on hand)

Well, I sent my husband today to pick up the presciption and he came back with 2 epi-pens which cost us $35.00. All I really wanted was one to keep around in case of an emergency (which probably will never happen) I cannot return the extra epi-pen and they have an expiration date of one year, 

(additional text here by Beemaster - selling prescriptional items is illegal, even giving them away -although only an epi-pen is questionable. Trying to keep you safe here)

so at best you'll be able to keep it incase an emergency arises. Who knows if you have a party or multiple guests, it isn't impossible both could need an epi-pen, and you may save 2 friends lives!!!

Annette
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:23:53 am by beemaster »

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Re: Have epi-pen
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:06:10 am »
You will want to keep both pens on hand. When you use an Epipen it is not always a one dose fix. Depending on the amount of stings, weight of patient, time to medical treatment, ext. you may need to use a second dose if symptoms return before you get to a hospital or 2 doses right away if symptoms do not subside. Read the info sent with the pens if you haven't already it will probably go into more detail.

I would keep the extra one if I were you just in case.

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:18:33 am »
NOTE FROM ADMIN....

I understand your intentions are good -but we cannot allow a prescription medicine to be traded or sold in the forums -I agree, keep a second one around for emergencies - but don't try selling it, you could get in lots of trouble, and I modified your post a bit to reflect my cocerns. Best wishes.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 09:22:02 am »
make sure you keep epipen cool at all times. You can't leave it in the hot truck without some kind of coolling for it while at the bee yard.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:45:48 am »
Hey Annette...

Keep 2..In fact I have 2 adult and 2 pediatric on hand at all times...as mentioned above, the firts dose may work, but temporarily...

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
I'd even suggest to keep one WRAPPED UP IN STYROFOAM or other material (a small towel) and keep it in my car FOR HAVING with me when visiting other beeyards. Some day, you may save a life at a County Fair if a beekeepers cage isn't as ESCAPE PROOF as he thought it was.

I suggest if you are going to a county fair, take you Epipen in your purse or pocket: You could see a honeybee demo and literally see pleople swatting at bees at nearly every show - if the person getting stung has no previous sting history - I'd stay around and maybe save a life!!!

Just another thought.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 02:59:25 pm »
I appreciate your posts. This is funny also, because I am going to be volunteering the bee booth this weekend at the Sacramento State Fair, so I will bring one with me, as you say.

Sorry for trying to sell this. My husband made me do it (Can I blame him???)

It makes sense and I am sure this is the reason the dr. gave me 2 - haven't had time yet to read the literature with it.

Thank you all

Annette

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:24:30 pm »
State trooper dies after sting by wasp
Hannah Schaefer | Staff Writer Posted: Thursday, August 23rd, 2007
WESTFIELD TWP. — A 19-year state highway patrol veteran was killed by a wasp sting he received at the patrol’s commercial driver’s license testing facility on Lake Road Tuesday afternoon.

Trooper Jack Holland Jr., 45, a salvage inspector working under the patrol’s Massillon district, was stung by a yellow jacket around 1 p.m. at his desk after conducting vehicle inspections at the facility’s garage.

“We knew of his allergies to bee stings, and he had the (epinephrine) shots with him,” patrol Sgt. Toby Smith said. “He was able to give himself two shots, but he didn’t respond to it well, and the folks that were working up at the garage immediately called the EMS squad.”

Holland was transported by the Westfield rescue squad to Lodi Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead around 2:30 p.m.

“Here’s a strong, relatively young state trooper who’s faced many adversities in his career lifetime … dealing with the criminal element, and all of a sudden a bee sting takes him,” Smith said. “It’s one of those tragic events.”

Holland, of West Salem, is survived by his wife, Jennifer, and three children.

Holland had worked throughout Ohio with the patrol, starting his career at the Findlay post in September 1987. In the following years, he worked at posts in Sandusky, Elyria and Ashland.

Holland started with the Massillon district as a salvage inspector in 2003. Smith said salvage inspectors check vehicles that have been reassembled after accidents or other events to ensure all parts are up to code.

“He was a good guy, a good family guy and a very hard-working individual,” Smith said. “We definitely have suffered a great loss with the passing of Trooper Holland.”

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 05:51:53 pm »

I suggest if you are going to a county fair, take you Epipen in your purse or pocket: You could see a honeybee demo and literally see pleople swatting at bees at nearly every show - if the person getting stung has no previous sting history - I'd stay around and maybe save a life!!

That really narks me off to be fair.

I work as a pest controller so have to remove swarms from time to time but most of the summer we treat wasp and hornets' nests.

I found out a few years ago I'm badly allergic to stings but even when out and about I never get flustered when around wasps because 99% of the time they're just being inquisitive and won't sting if left alone.

The other 1% will normally involve a sting because some idiot belted the wasp not two minutes ago. If someone hits me, then i kinda get angry too!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:04 am »
Actually here in Colorado you can not sell or give any prescription meications. We just did a bust on a lady that was selling pain pills, some were hers some were not. I was actually going to get some pens to keep here at the house just incase my wife or daughter are allergic. I know my son and I are not because I was stung 18 times in three minutes and my son got a few also. So ture about seeing people swatting at bees at the fairs. If they only knew!!

Offline Healthyhoney

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 01:57:24 am »
What was mentioned was very wise. You should NEVER give away anything that is prescribed from a doctor.

Also, you should never take your epi-pen along in case someone else might need it. If you do take it and give it to someone to use, you can and probably will be charged with dispensing a prescription without a medical license and you may even end up getting sued by the very person you are trying to help.  Let’s face it, now days everyone is sue happy and look for any excuse to sue anyone. Lawyers have a big part of this sorry to say.

To prove the point, there is a Nebraska senator by the name of Ernie Chambers suing God right now that is in fact going to trial. His point being that anyone can sue for anything.

Also with epi-pen (the auto injector type), check with your doctor as the proper method to use them. I’m not a doctor and this is why I am telling you to check with him or her. But my understanding is, you have a nerve going down ones leg and you don’t want to hit it with the pen. You also don’t want to hit your bone. The needles are long from my understanding. So make sure you have proper instructions on the use of them.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 04:04:19 pm »
Good advice

Annette