Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Time for a new branding iron  (Read 4295 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Time for a new branding iron
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
I'm looking at getting a new iron and thought some of you might know of cheaper sources. It needs to be propane fired with an interchangeable head as we have two different reg# to burn.

Any thoughts?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Time for a new branding iron
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:01:52 pm »
http://www.brandnew.net/estore/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=7&cat=Beekeepers+Beehive+Branders
they have interghanable letters on some heads or a fixed set of letters and numbers-they also ofer 3/4inch
that way you can brand your frames-around here they will just steal your frames out of the boxes-beerustuling
is a big problem during almond bloom-RDY-B

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:05:09 pm »
Hardwood; we've looked at them all since we need a replacement also. Found no cheaper prices than the folks that advertise in the Bee Journals.  :shock:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:58:56 pm »
Here's what I have:
http://novatoolco.com/Brandingiron-BeeHive.htm

With two heads:

BUSH
and
BUSHFARMS.COM

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:11:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies...those are  in line with what I've been looking at. I was kinda hoping there might be a harbor freight type of cheapo out there but I guess not.

Lessons learned...don't keep your good irons out in the weather for more than 5 years or so :'(

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:56:21 am »
why do you have two diff reg#'s? I'm new to getting into bees to where I will have to do that.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:19:44 am »
I work very closely with S&S Apiaries (we even share some bee yards)

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:34:09 pm »
Here's what I have:
http://novatoolco.com/Brandingiron-BeeHive.htm

With two heads:

BUSH
and
BUSHFARMS.COM

Which type did you get?  Is it torch or electric?  Are the electrics ok for small scale use?  Do they burn as deeply?
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 12:46:51 am »
Mine is propane.  I have it on one of those tanks like you use on your BBQ... an electric won't get hot enough to be of much use.  The propane one takes a while to get hot enough as it is...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:02:00 am »
Scott think i saw them in the last Rockler book i got here is a link to their stuff

http://www.rockler.com/c/branding-irons.cfm

ever considered a small mapp gas torch set?  mapp gas is one of the hotter burning gases you can get and should heat the irons quicker.  Not to metion it comes in handy when ya need to do some serious metal cutting aka West Virginia cresent wrench.   :-D
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:41:58 am »
I ended up ordering from brandnew.com. They gave me the best price and were great to work with. I'm expecting my new iron tomorrow.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 08:57:12 pm »
I ended up ordering from brandnew.com. They gave me the best price and were great to work with. I'm expecting my new iron tomorrow.

Scott

believe it is  brandnew.net

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »
Thanks for that kbenz...my mistake :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »
Hopefully you got it right on the irons.   :-D