Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Couple of questions;  (Read 3690 times)

Offline FredBorn

• New Bee
Couple of questions;
« on: February 14, 2005, 08:19:23 pm »
Couple of questions;

I live in Citrus County. Have 4 hives in the backyard. Because of the hurricanes (it stripped all the flowers off everything) and then the cold weather I have been feeding for a few months. Open the hives today for the fist time in quite a while. Three of the hives are doing great. Full of bees, saw lots of brood, saw stores, pollen, etc. The fourth wasn’t doing to good.

Questions;

1.   In all 4 hives the outer frames on each side were not fully drawn out and the next one in on both sides were only partially drawn. Starting with the 3rd frame in there was stores and brood. Question – should I move these outer frames into the middle and move some of the more middle frames to the outside.

2.   The 4th hive was very weak but there were a couple partial frames of brood. So I took one of the frames from the strongest hive with brood and bees and exchanged it with one of the weak hives empty frames. I checked and don’t think the queen was on the frame I moved. Sprayed the frame and bees I put in with sugar water solution. Question – was that the thing to do?  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred Citrus County FL

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Couple of questions;
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 09:44:03 pm »
I would consider merging the two weakest hives together.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Couple of questions;
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 12:24:08 am »
On question #1, I would say -- don't seperate the brood. Maybe if you like, you can take the outer frames and move them just in one frame (an exchange of sorts). On question #2, I'd say you did just fine.

And BigRog's suggestion is a good one too. If it applies to your situation.

Beth

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Couple of questions;
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 04:34:31 am »
Quote from: FredBorn
Couple of questions;

I live in Citrus County. Have 4 hives in the backyard. Because of the hurricanes (it stripped all the flowers off everything) and then the cold weather I have been feeding for a few months. Open the hives today for the fist time in quite a while. Three of the hives are doing great. Full of bees, saw lots of brood, saw stores, pollen, etc. The fourth wasn’t doing to good.

Questions;

1.   In all 4 hives the outer frames on each side were not fully drawn out and the next one in on both sides were only partially drawn. Starting with the 3rd frame in there was stores and brood. Question – should I move these outer frames into the middle and move some of the more middle frames to the outside.

It is not wise to change the order at spring.  Bees have so big brood area as they can.  Pollen must bee very near the brood.  When hive enlarge, they eat food away and move it to sides when they are ready for that. If you do that , they must destroy larvas from sides, because they do are able to keep them warm.

If there is too much food capped food, take it away and give it back later.

2.   The 4th hive was very weak but there were a couple partial frames of brood. So I took one of the frames from the strongest hive with brood and bees and exchanged it with one of the weak hives empty frames.

Check if brood area is healty. No cell caps, which have hole in cap and brown stuff inside = American foulbrood. Also iff tehre is white like snow, it is chalk brood.

Tighten the hive space with middle board that bees need not warm up empty part off hive.  When your big hives are big enough, take from each  one frame brood which are just hatching. DONT TAKE bees with it.

From 3 frames it will be hatched one box full of bees. So it starts normal living. If not, queen is violated or sick.

I checked and don’t think the queen was on the frame I moved. Sprayed the frame and bees I put in with sugar water solution. Question – was that the thing to do?  

Not very wise.  Bees turn back ther original hive. Before that they may kill the strange queen. When those bees return to their own hive, they may have nabours odor, and they will be killed.  You should move only brood.

Spraying sugar on week hive may cause attach of robbers.  I did the same last summer and that happened.

Now you just wait how hives expand and you give them more space.

Offline grammypat

• Brood
Couple of questions;
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 08:04:16 pm »
Hello
 :oops:  I do not know what I am doing here but I have a friend who LOVES honey and was told to only use local honey.  We live in Fitchburg, Massachusetts and she was getting her honey from the Worcester Bee Keepers.  I can not find them online.  I am hoping someone here will be able to help me find the local honey she wants. .She was told it is made in Leominster, Massachusettes.  PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Couple of questions;
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 08:11:43 pm »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Grammy
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 09:11:03 pm »
GrammyPat -  I have what you are looking for.

My contact info is attached.....
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

anything