Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking at a Massey 35  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Looking at a Massey 35
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:54:27 pm »
what all do I need to check before I buy it

Its a massey 35 with bushog for 1300
sound like a deal? Does to me but what do I know.

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
Re: Looking at a Massey 35
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:29 pm »
Diesel or Gas? Diesel has a higher resale value, but a gas tractor is easier to work on.
Check the tires thoroughly! Call a tractor tire outlet and get a price on a new tire, that same size!
3 point hitch, broken casting, rusted out rims, hours (like an odometer, measures hours run, instead of miles), repair history, .......
Try a Google search on that particular tractor.

YOU NEED A MENTOR! There has got to be someone, local and knowledgeable , you can trust to look at it with you.
Live long and prosper!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »
It can be a to-35, good buy.

te-35, trash... Walk away.

mf-35. good deal.

If diesel, 3 cylinder, good deal... 4 cylinder, trash... Walk away.

That is, after listening to Ray. He has some good info there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:51:52 pm »
What do you need the tractor to do?  This may be a great tractor for mowing small acreage and maintaining a gravel driveway.  How wide is the shredder?  It depends on what you need this tractor to do.  If you need it to move round bales or mow with anything bigger than an 6' shredder it's probably not the right tractor for you.  Everyone else has given good advice so far.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
Thanks for the advise
I need it for pull up stumps bushoging the pasture would love to have a disc and plow
over all just get things done faster.

It was a ferguson 35 meaning that it had the ferguson name but not massey but its still a massey 35 red and gray gas some came with ferguson others came with massey ferguson name.
Woman was selling it her hubby wanted it and never used it. Then last year he ran up a lot of debt on her credit cards and then left her so she was fire selling all of his junk to help her get out of debit and I mean everything including the house in the country.

Anyway I bought it
When I got there it would hardly crank by the time I left it loaded its self and the bushog.
I cranked it yesterday 3 times ever time it seems to run a little better. I was sure I was going to have to go into the carb but if this keeps up it might clean its self.

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »
Sounds like you made a good deal.  Hope the tractors does everything you want it to.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »
Look on the plate on the dash by to steering wheel. It should say to-35, te-35, or mf-35. From your description, it is probably a mf-35. Either way, it is a good deal. Glad you got it. On the same tag, it should have a serial number. Post it and we can tell you the year it was made.

Roll the rear tires until the valve stem in down near the bottom. Let a bit of "air?" out of each. If it is air, and not water, you may have to have water put in to be able to pull a bottom plow. With air only, you may not get enough traction.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:06 pm »
Post us a pic of it, if you don't mind.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »
Every man needs a truck and a tractor. Be careful, they are powerful and will hurt you.

Congratulations,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:23:10 pm »
Good luck with your new purchase.
Don't forget the PREVENTATIVE maintenance.
Live long and prosper!

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:17 am »
"Roll the rear tires until the valve stem in down near the bottom. Let a bit of "air?" out of each. If it is air, and not water, you may have to have water put in to be able to pull a bottom plow. With air only, you may not get enough traction."

Or you can go the expensive route like me and purchase wheel weights.  Make sure that water has antifreeze if you live where it may freeze.  I have seen what happens to rims that rust from the inside out.  It can be ugly but the tractor will probably outlive you.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »

Rear Tire and rim on the other side looks newish.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:51 pm »
pretty good looking tractor, I think that is a TO

I would say you got a pretty good deal.

My Daddy always said "it takes a willing buyer and a willing seller to make a good deal"
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »
That was a great deal.  I just saw two of them for sale in Dallas.  Both wanted $3G and they didn't look as good as yours.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:09 pm »
As G3 says, looks like a TO. Around here, with bush hog, would bring 3 to 3.5 grand. Ya did good.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:34:53 pm »
Now braking up the garden

Disc or Plow and Disc

now the old garden section has been broke year after year with a troy bilt I would think a disc would brake it back up.

Guy wants 300 for this what do yall think I dont have the 300 but I do have a Remington 11-87
He says its missing a blade must be on the back now I would load it down with enough wieght to make my back scream before I tried doing anything with it.

If you think I should offer less let me know

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 08:08:24 pm »
If you look around, you can find a good, complete Leinbach disc for 300 used. If one disc is broken, one bearing or more is likely bad.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 11:27:53 pm »
Nice tractor!
 I know some places load tires with Windshield washer fluid. I did the same with my  tractor for snow blowing.It seems to have some kind of corrosion inhibitor. I pushed one of the tires off the wheel after a couple years and the wheel looked like new.And it's rated at -20. If it's that cold the snow will wait for me.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 02:11:39 pm »
Now braking up the garden... Disc or Plow and Disc... now the old garden section has been broke year after year with a troy bilt I would think a disc would brake it back up...

The link did not work.

Think about turning your garden under this fall, say at about first frost.
Leave it like this trough the winter.  The rains and any freezes will mellow the dirt and break up the clods.  Then just before planting disk it hard and there is your seed bed.  This also helps destroy leftover weed seeds and over wintering bugs.   Don't forget that that bush hog is useful to shred last summer's garden debres before turning them under.  This helps deny bugs a place to sleep the winter through.