Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russells A.M.M or German Black  (Read 9138 times)

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Russells A.M.M or German Black
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 11:15:39 am »
and kudos to Russells' customer service.

I second that!

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 08:32:18 pm »
How are the AMM's doing???
Sirach

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 09:42:05 am »
I havent checked in on them since I pulled the queen cage. Barring supercedure, I hope all is well. I rarely go back into a hive that Ive requeened for a couple of weeks to let things settle down a bit.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 03:14:05 pm »
Will be going to outyard tomorrow to take a look-see, have had to many other things to do as of late to check on them but tomorrow I am going to make time.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 09:36:26 am »
Looks like mine was superceded. Queen cells everywhere. Such are the joys of trying to requeen during a dearth.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 10:02:44 am »
Are you sure she was superceded?

It's much more common to have e-cells produced while you are introducing the new queen, and then having them hatched means the queen is not accepted.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 12:54:20 pm »
OK!  It is 91 degrees here in Central Al and just came back from checking the girls out.  They are going like gangbusters one hive has 7 full frames of eggs, larva, and brood...and full of little black bees and the other two have almost the same.  They were quite docile and did not seem to be bothered by my proding and moving of the frames as I did a few manipulations of frames stores of pollen and nectar are about normal for the size of the hives and the time of year.

I think they will be going into winter on a fairly good footing and with a little help they will be able to overwinter quite nicely.  I look forward to springtime and see just how well they build up.  One thing I have noticed they look almost like the few hives of German's that I already have but the AMM's disposition seems far more gentle than the German's.  I could get used too having some gentle stock since all of my other hives are the spawn of the devil....."stinging machines."
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:44 pm »
Are you sure she was superceded?

It's much more common to have e-cells produced while you are introducing the new queen, and then having them hatched means the queen is not accepted.

Yeah, shes gone. Apparently booted out the door

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 06:23:37 pm »
Vol, I'm not doubting that she isn't there anymore, I'm asking if you are sure that she was superceded as opposed to removed by a rival virgin.

Did you check a few days after you installed the queen to make sure that there were no e-cells?

Either way, contact Russell's about your issue. They can't always help, but usually you'd be surprised ;)

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:15 am »
OK!  It is 91 degrees here in Central Al and just came back from checking the girls out.  They are going like gangbusters one hive has 7 full frames of eggs, larva, and brood...and full of little black bees and the other two have almost the same.  They were quite docile and did not seem to be bothered by my proding and moving of the frames as I did a few manipulations of frames stores of pollen and nectar are about normal for the size of the hives and the time of year.

I think they will be going into winter on a fairly good footing and with a little help they will be able to overwinter quite nicely.  I look forward to springtime and see just how well they build up.  One thing I have noticed they look almost like the few hives of German's that I already have but the AMM's disposition seems far more gentle than the German's.  I could get used too having some gentle stock since all of my other hives are the spawn of the devil....."stinging machines."

How are the AMM's doing???
Sirach

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 02:58:48 am »
I want to buy a few Russel Sunkist queens and a few Russel Carni queens in the spring but I'm a little nervous about them getting to me alive.  Did everyone who ordered from him get live queens in a reasonable amount of time with the changes in the major carriers next day/second day delivery?  My mentor was upset about how new carrier delivery times were going to affect if his queens would be arriving alive or dead.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 10:54:34 am »
I think you can expect to pay more for uninsured shipping thru a common carrier like fed ex.  The Postal changes are a sad thing for beeks and who knows how bad it will be. 

anything