Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How cool is this?  (Read 5612 times)

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
Re: How cool is this?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 09:33:15 am »
I was thinking about ebay for $40 with shipping included. Who knows, might be able to increase my profit margin. Will let y'all know.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:42 am »
AWESOME!  I've been wanting to try that and you've given me the push to do it.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:11 pm »
wow, great work.  (pass the praise onto the girls)Thanks for posting. 

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 12:03:57 pm »
Just bought the jars and will be cutting the wood this weekend.  Thanks again for posting.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 01:24:27 pm »
Insert a piece of paper with the technique of how some crooked honey farmers make fake honey, which is next to impossible to tell if it is real, without scientifically analyzing it, but with it being in sealed comb, you 'know' it is from the bees, and people will surely buy it more. although in jars like that, I have to imagine it is a lot harder for them to seal and dry it out, since glass doesn't breath so well. but cool all the same, and your bees do your packaging for you for free... which also, means you bypass any processing laws like we have in MI. I would think.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 02:23:29 pm »
China, the master of counterfeit, sells a lot of "fake" honey. They export it to other countries who will export or label it, then resell it to distributors in the US. From the article I read it's basically A honey flavored type of corn syrup. I'll try to find the article if anyone is interested. Having read the article I still don't see how it is profitable for them.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 12:23:05 am »
I was a little concerned about moisture and humidity as well. However, when I would peep in on them (which was just about every day) I never saw any condensation in the jars and they seemed to fill and cap without any complications.  I was also watchful for larva since I did not use an excluder.  But, once they get in there and go to building, it just looks like a jar of bees.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 12:33:18 am »
Very nice. This past Monday our bee inspector brought a glass cake pan cover in to our meeting with it filled with comb and the bees still in it. It looked really nice. He did not put any wax in it and they built it from the bottom up instead of from the top down.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 08:26:36 am »
What a fantastic idea! They look great! Will you top them up with honey before you sell them or leave them as is?
Thanks for sharing - definitely going to give this a go in the Spring  :)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 08:49:33 am »
I was thinking about ebay for $40 with shipping included. Who knows, might be able to increase my profit margin. Will let y'all know.

You get anywhere near that let me know! I will have boards cut and on top of all of mine next year :-D I have seen that claim on youtube but just can't see it. Never know though, it would make a cool gift until it crystallizes  :-D
John 3:16

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:09 am »
I've got them on 2 hives and the bees are drawing it out but slower than I anticipated, especially considering we've got a very heavy flow on right now.  One hive I cut down from 4 deeps and 2 supers to 2 deeps and 2 supers the other one I left as 3 supers and 2 deeps.  These are my strongest hives and were either completely full in the supers or backfilling a couple frames that still had capped brood but otherwise +95% capped.

I'm seeing some condensation in the jars (it's unseasonably cool here right now) but not sure if I should reduce further to promote comb building.

anything