Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tree??  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
tree??
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:38:35 pm »
I just got a call from a guy who cut a 5 ft diamater tree in half only to find out it housed bees!!!!  the trunk with half the comb is laying on the ground......  I would like to save the bees but don't know how....  if I can't do it the guy is going to kill the bees......  any ideas?    on a side note never try to sleep at the top of the contanintal divide it doesn't work!!!
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: tree??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »
This may help.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/Stump%20Removal/

If you have questions, just ask.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:54:34 pm »
If I had a couple of frames of brood and honey, I would set up a hive right next to them, they may just enter. If not, manually go in, see if you can get the queen and release her in your hive body.

If they are strong, you will have to do a cut out and transfer them into your set up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:13:05 pm »
If the tree is 5 foot across you are going to need help and some extra logging tools........chainsaw, sledge hammer, wedges, cant hook might be nice, slings, come-a-long or winch, cribbing blocks, chock blocks (the blocks can be cut out of some of the bigger limbs). Not all bee trees will need all of this but just remember this is a big tree.

First off when splitting the trunk open please be very careful, just think how much that log will weigh. It could very easily pin you to the ground and/or crush body parts.

It would be very helpful to have another beek that has been into a bee tree before. I don't think I would tackle that by myself, just think if you did get hurt or pinned and all alone.

Maybe the tree cutters will help out if they have a bucket truck with a winch on it.

Bee trees are like any other cut out..................almost. just think of it as a hive laying on its side and it will take a chainsaw and wedges to get into it. More difficult than pulling a few nails or using the saws-all. If they dropped the tree trunk the comb and bees may be crushed beyond salvage.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Negative here, but trees are tough, and the bigger they are the harder they are, mainly due to the weight.

Get some helpers together and make the day out of it.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:30:38 pm »
Well what did you decide to do with the bee tree??

Don't leave us hanging.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:43:07 am »
Well what did you decide to do with the bee tree??

Don't leave us hanging.

G3

Yeah, when it comes to real bee trees never leave us out on a limb!   :-*
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 05:19:39 am »
So sorry.... I couldnt find the time so I called a nother local beek who needed another colony and I havent heard back from him yet.  But the guy who cut the tree down was flaming mad at all the stings he got.... :evil:  I reckon its better to call a beek FIRST before cutting into a hive??
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 07:53:13 am »
This is the problem I often run across. Tree cutters are there cutting the tree down, holy cow, bees! Call the bee guy!

Be guy gets call, can you come over right now? Most here cannot come over right now as they are removing bees from other jobs.

Tree guys cut tree down anyway, screaming and cussing bees!

If I were a tree guy, I would carry binoculars with me and search each tree for bee colonies before I took the job, but that's me.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything