Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive stands  (Read 11667 times)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Re: Hive stands
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 06:37:46 pm »
Hey Lone,
Here's your solution. :-D

"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »
Nevermind, your talking toads not frogs.  I don't think you can eat those.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 08:55:15 pm »

I hope that is a sense of humor I detect
 15 feet is not practical...
...I plan on growing a crop and putting that fifth and sixth deep on and off full gets hard for an old man without intentionally making it worse!

My point being that even if you don't put them up on a stand, at 5 or 6 deeps high, we'll need to put you up on a stand to work the top boxes.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »
Cane Toads!  Did they take away your bb guns too?   a blow gun would be fun I guess.  Thanks for all the interest in my question.  I found out what I needed to know.  The bottom line is as usual, beekeeping is all local.  I in no way meant to denigrate any swamp folks or people who have mountainous hives on stands that would blow over here in my areas winds.  I have top entrances to limit skunk damage.  Coons don't seem to be a problem.  They would be up on any hive or stand anyway. 

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:30:07 pm »
JMBlakeney, I'm not sure how many cane toads you want for a meal, but you are welcome to any I have spare.  Actually, the poison in the toad has killed a lot of wildlife, including crocodiles and dogs, but some birds have learned to adapt by turning the toad over and eating the belly. The most problem to humans is generally a painful squirt in the eye.
Beyond, apparently the cane toad is native to Mexico, Central and Sth America, so no doubt it has hopped a bit into Nth America.
Vance, I don't know what BB guns are, but the old folks talk about daisy air guns they had as kids.  I believe there is some legislation to protect the cane toads from cruelty, and they must be killed humanely.  Somehow the government believes humanely involves cooling and freezing, though I reckon this would be slow torture for the warm weather creatures.  And it's certainly torture for people who don't want the things in their freezer next to food.  They banned toad cricket, too.  There are other quick disposal methods, but I better not incriminate myself  :)  Anyhow, it seems a lot of beeks in different regions don't use hive stands, so apart from preventing rotting of the bottom, you probably don't need stands where you are.

Lone

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »
Holee Patayta!

I don't envy you those monsters love!  I lived in the Canal Zone when I was a boy, I don't remember seeing anything like these.  Take a look at this THING!  Click on the image for the BIGGUN!

It's a sad thing, but I understand the desperation the farmers must have felt.  I see all kinds of stuff come out of Australia I never expect!  Here's a documentary on the subject, in 5 parts in You Tube.

Cane Toads:  An Unnatural History
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 10:51:57 pm »
Yes Lone, I meant air rifles and I remember the price of scrap steel went down the infamous day that the Austrailian people were disarmed.   I know those eyes at night would be all I needed for a target.  Don't incriminate yourself, just carry on.  When you get all the toads, come to Montana and start on the wolves for us sir.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:29 pm »
Vance, I think you're confused, Lone is a woman.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »
the infamous day that the Austrailian people were disarmed

Yes, and it's true all Aussies are disarming...just look at Geoff.   :roll:

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 03:47:08 pm »
Boy you guys sure know how to discourage a new beekeeper, i am going to build stands about 30" high. That will take care of skunk and mouse problem,and all my hives i am using screened bottom boards w/solid 3/4" below screen.
Now if i can just figure out how to keep wasps and hornets away from hives i just may have some success. :?
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 07:07:50 pm »
I am trying something new (at least for me) this year. I used 2x8 boards nailed in a box form the size of my open landing boards, above that are my screened bottom boards. I cut 4 slots in the side with my skill saw (the width of the blade.) with ant screens on the inside. My thought is: the wind can not create a super draft up through the hive, yet still allow the heat of the colony to draft up as needed for ventilation. Our club is trying something similar but with round holes. I will try to update the forum on how these work for the bees.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 08:26:58 am »
All those little toad eyes creep me out, Lone.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 10:53:13 am »
Lone!  Excuse me for addressing you with an honorific that has come to be reserved for just males.  No disrespect was intended.  Although the original Sirrah! had a more gender neutral usage.  Lone do you really care?  I am sorry anyway if I offended.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »
I am trying something new (at least for me) this year. I used 2x8 boards nailed in a box form the size of my open landing boards, above that are my screened bottom boards. I cut 4 slots in the side with my skill saw (the width of the blade.) with ant screens on the inside. My thought is: the wind can not create a super draft up through the hive, yet still allow the heat of the colony to draft up as needed for ventilation. Our club is trying something similar but with round holes. I will try to update the forum on how these work for the bees.  -Mike
[/quote
 Are the 2X8 bourds sitting on the ground ?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 01:08:12 am »
Lone!  Excuse me for addressing you with an honorific that has come to be reserved for just males.  No disrespect was intended.  Although the original Sirrah! had a more gender neutral usage.  Lone do you really care?  I am sorry anyway if I offended.

Vance, that's quite all right.  No offence taken.  I think though that the word "sir" has not come to be reserved for males, but started out that way! Actually I couldn't quite get used to being called ma'am either when I was in Nashville last year.  As for lead poisoning the cane toads, that's not quite what I had in mind.  I wouldn't want to create too many extra entrances into the beehives  haha  There are some other common cane toad culling methods widely used but perhaps not strictly legal now.

Lone

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 01:11:32 am »
All those little toad eyes creep me out, Lone.

-Liz

You should have seen me jump when I saw my first cane toad.  I'm from Victoria originally.  The blighters are spreading now to other states, but Victoria would probably be too cold for them.

Lone

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »
"couldn't quite get used to being called ma'am "

Sir and Ma'am are in very common usage amoung the US states with a southern drawl.  I used to work for two Canadian companies based in Vancouver, BC and spent quite a bit of time up there.  Young ladies in BC really took offence when I called them ma'am.  It was hard for me to quit and hard for them to stomach, me being 10 or 20 years their senior.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »
At my site the 2x8s will be sitting on inverted 'rubber' doormats in order to restrict the moisture. At the other site the 2x8s will be on the ground. We will be watching the moisture content of strips on the screened bottom boards.   - Mike

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 06:16:00 pm »
At my site the 2x8s will be sitting on inverted 'rubber' doormats in order to restrict the moisture. At the other site the 2x8s will be on the ground. We will be watching the moisture content of strips on the screened bottom boards.   - Mike

Mike, have you over wintered this way. I like the thought of a box under the hive that the screened bottom could be left open and screened slits to provide small amounts of air. I was wondering if the mice would dig under and make a home inside though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:30:22 pm by Sparky »

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:39 pm »
Sorry Sparky, we just started using the 2x8 this February (late) so I have not over wintered with this base yet. Our plan is to leave in the screened bottom boards but close up the drawer opening as we usually do. We have had very strong winds off the mountain the last two winters that have caused up drafts through the cracks in our cinder blocks, so we are eliminating the blocks this year. So far we have been clear of mice.  - Mike

anything