Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New plants  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
New plants
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:16:59 pm »
My son has been working the past three weeks in a greenhouse and finally came home. he brought me some Herb Tansy, Sunset Hyssop, Sonoran sunset hyssop, and Echinops. Not sure if any of these plants are good for bees or not but I guess Ill get them planted. Does anyone have any of these plants?

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: New plants
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:09:57 am »
I have some type of Hyssop but I'm not very sure. Over all though Hyssops get bees. The Echinops ritros is a great one I also have. Bare in mind it's the definition of "weedy looking." Last year between 3 plants we got 4 puff balls of flowers and the bees that landed on them spent the better half of an hour working all the flowers before they would finally leave. There is a mesmerizing blue color you don't often get with flowers. This year they're producing buds sooner and we're getting about 6 so far.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 03:42:25 pm »
I have the anise-agastache hyssops and the bees go wild for them. Not sure about the other varieties but it seems they would still be attracted to them.
I just planted the echinops because I heard the bees like them.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:48:18 pm »
"Bare in mind it's the definition of "weedy looking."" That is good then it will blend in with everything else in the yard  :-D. Got them all planted today after it stopped raining, that way no sting to the eye. Ill take some photgraphs "when the sun comes out tomorrow."