Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 10 vs 8 on width measurements  (Read 1695 times)

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
10 vs 8 on width measurements
« on: July 03, 2010, 10:40:22 am »
Not trying to stir up trouble, just need clarification. On the ten frame brood box the inside width is 14.750 allowing 1.475 for each frame. Now if you multiply 8 X 1.475 for an 8 frame box you end up with inside width of 11.800. Now I go and buy an 8 frame box from a beekeeping supplier and find that the inside width is 12.250. A difference of .450. Can someone help me understand why the difference? I thought the bees needed just so much room. Not extra. Thanks in advance. Pembroke

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: 10 vs 8 on width measurements
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:51:03 am »
It's just the way it is... most of the eight frame equipment used to be used for comb honey production and often had one or more follower boards inserted.   You always need extra from side to side to get that first frame out...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
Re: 10 vs 8 on width measurements (9 works)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:27:30 pm »
I have homemade 8 frame boxes following the standard Dadant 8 frame dimensions. I find 9 frames fit snugly.  So on new brood boxes I squeeze nine frames in.  After foundation is fully drawn I pull a frame and leave things loose.

I tried going for 8 in new undrawn brood, and just got a mess.  I spaced frames away from the side, but a new swarm built wild bur comb there. The swarm had been hived in the middle frames with foundation, but migrated to the side after I placed them. (New swarms are eager to build natural comb and hardly need or want foundation).

Moving 8 frame bodies, the frame tends to slip and get diagonal because of the extra space.  I have ended up with wild comb bridging the gap, if I haven't opened the boxes and carefully reset the frames. (never spent money on those spacing metal pieces).

After everything is drawn deep, I will pull a frame and go with 8.  Propolis will help keep the spacing even during moves.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: 10 vs 8 on width measurements
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:46:46 am »
Most of mine have nine frames in them as well, except mine are 13 3/4" (outside) and nine don't quite fit unless you shave some down or you have a frame of permacomb which has no spacers.  I put one PermaComb in then center and the rest hoffman spaced frames and nine fits nicely.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin