Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Community Based Beekeeping Project  (Read 3011 times)

Offline doree

• Brood
Community Based Beekeeping Project
« on: February 26, 2006, 01:50:47 am »
I am looking forward to learning more about beekeeping from this forum.  I would like to set up my beekeeping activity in Jamaica, a community based project similar to Honey Care Africa.  I am a newbie in the beekeeping world so I have lots to learn. I look forward to receiving your suggestions, advice and help.  Come on down to JA.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 11:53:01 pm »
Hey,
I'm in BC canada too, I'm curious where you are,I live in mission BC.  I am starting two hives tomorrow.  I'm taking lessons at HoneylandCanada in Pitt Meadows.  Email me if you'd like.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 11:51:54 am »
Whether a single lecture or a permanent based exhibit, you need to go above and beyond - an exhibit whether active (people get to help with the tools, spin honey, anything active) or inactive where they observe HOPEFULLY with someone saying what is going on, breaking the boxes apart for inspection, etc. or at the very least  DETAILED information stating in large print what is going on and basic hive history explaining the queen, workers and drones, what they do and don't do and how the life cycles in the hive are so very different. An audio looping tape is ideal for fitting lots of information, few people stay around and read paragraphs of information and they walk away with little leaned.

http://www.beemaster.com/honeybee/lect2000.html

Here is a link to a page I created on my Beekeeping Course (the part of the forum many people find before finding the forum - buy times are changing and many people come here first - I'll need to add links on info it the forum logo (upper left of this page) to announce all the important pages of the site. But back to the topic....

I write about LECTURING and basic classroom layout and organizational techniques which allow YOU to either work a room alone or with the help of designated or volunteers.

I'll just comment on a few things, allowing the page to fill in any blanks.

1) you are the star of the show - even if beekeeping is the topic, people expect a smooth running, quality, educational and fun process from "Hello" to "Thank you from coming"

2) you need to keep control EVEN IF you have 10 projects going on at the same time in the room - this is done by having an agreed method of control: a bell, a whistle, a small gong, anything that the group expects that could pop-up at any time.

3) you need to create work stations, props give YOU the appearance of being bigger than life and it does a magical thing - it puts the participants in your shoes, making them feel like the beekeeper if only for a few minutes.

4) use the relative age of the class to your benefit - don't bore the younger with details they can't comprehend and don't insult the older ones with content aimed at a 5 year old. Knowing your audience (whether a one day project) or a season long adventure, you need to keep control and better yet, put their ideas to use.

5) I have "Class-room" lectured over 50 times, done larger and older audiences dozens of times and both have special needs and attention spans. Know your audence and gear everything toward them.

6) I saved this for the last because it is very important - NEVER LIE just because you don't know the answer of something - even if you pull it off, you do the ultimate disservice to everyone. Instead. tell them that you don't know the answer, even explain WHY you don't know the answer if you can - but point them in a direction WHERE they can find the answer and even ask them to email you with the answer. Show interest at all times.

Here is the page about lecturing - it talks a lot about different things, some of which may be helpful, or even give you other ideas which you can share with us.

When this answer is done, I'll be putting up a link in the Admin Forum - the theme will be what would you do/bring to a lecture and why. I'll post several questions and hopefully we will come up with the IDEAL list of necessary things that anyone (beekeeper or newbie) can use to make a presentation a wonderful experience for all.

Good post.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything