Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Manzanita starting to bloom  (Read 6683 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Manzanita starting to bloom
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:24:22 pm »
OK Guys

Got into both hives really good. Great inspection and I see that both are doing fine. (2 hives)

The manzanita's are starting to bloom out and saw a couple of bees today on them. They are working the rosemary bushes like crazy. Honey is coming soon

Just have to stay on top of their stores until they really start bringing in the stuff. I did find some open nectar on some frames, so they should be capping this soon.

Exciting times ahead.

Just trying to ward off swarming by keeping the broodnest open. Have introduced several frames of starter strips into the brood nest. They have been drawing out the starter strips very nicely, no problems at all. Always nice and straight.
I hope they continue. Keeping up the powdered sugar dustings also.
Take care. Just wanted to share
Sincerely
Annette

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
Re: Manzanita starting to bloom
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:30:15 pm »
Hi Annette!
Hay have you ever tryed manzanita honey. I wounder if you cold get any,... being it is so early in the season. I have always been curious if you could, and what it would tast like.
Good luck with your build up this year.
J'smob

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:33:13 am »
I heard the honey is wonderful and I am going to try to steal some when they fill up a frame of it. Only problem is they are working the rosemary also at the same time, so it would be a mixture. Unless they leave the rosemary for a while. The manzanita are directly in back of the hives and much closer to them. We shall see.

So how many hives do you have and where in Sacto do you live???

Annette

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:13:46 am »
I actuly live just down the hill from you. I am in Rancho just off Sunrise.
Why I asked is that I am wanting to get into rare specialty honeys.
As you know there is hundreds of acers of Manzanita and I have seen I start blooming as early as January.
Anyway its just a thought.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:32:58 pm »
I actuly live just down the hill from you. I am in Rancho just off Sunrise.
Why I asked is that I am wanting to get into rare specialty honeys.
As you know there is hundreds of acers of Manzanita and I have seen I start blooming as early as January.
Anyway its just a thought.

Time for a BBQ with forum members.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 04:36:55 pm »
Brian, are you having a BBQ here in California also???

(just kidding)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:19 pm »
Any taste review of the manzanita honey?!  :-D 8-)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:23:30 am »
No, I found the bees to be addicted to the numerous blooming rosemary bushes here and did not see them on the manzanita bushes in the woods back of the hive. I am sure they must have been on them, just did not really see them on it.

Also, they were going through their stores all last month due to making so much brood and whatever honey they made, they ate because I ended up having to feed them sugar syrup. I was keeping track of how much honey they were eating each week, and I was introducing frames of honey I had frozen .

We really did not start the flow until I believe now. I will get into both hives this coming week and see what is up.

Thanks for asking
Annette

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:49:32 am »
Thank you kindly for replying Annette.  I'm just a bit curious about the manzanita specifically because I just turned a friend of mine on to beekeeping who has a place in the Santa Cruz hills that is loaded with manzanita, presently blooming.  The hives were placed on Saturday and near nectar (almond) locked.  DDs that felt like 120lbs... busting them open and there was nectar all over.  So I'm thinking (& have advised) for him to super up ASAP (yesterday) with any nectar flow whatsoever less his hives swarm.  Could be he gets some of that manzanita honey soon.  All I've found is that this honey is "dark" (no taste reports).  Always interesting experiencing new honey varietals says I.  :-D

I'll report back in here if & when he gets a frame of the stuff out.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 02:12:33 pm »
Yes, I was disappointed that they did not make any for me. Just kept eating up frame after frame of the honey I was placing in there.

I have never tasted the honey but I heard it is delicious. Let me know also how it tastes

Thanks
Annette

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 05:23:16 am »
Hey Annette!
Are you aware of the natural beekeeping class the sac bee club is having and are you going? Its at slough house on the 12th.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 01:12:20 am »
Hey Annette!
Are you aware of the natural beekeeping class the sac bee club is having and are you going? Its at slough house on the 12th.

Tell me more please!!!

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 02:01:10 am »
Hi Annette!
I just got done talking to the guy in charg of the class, and he said that it is full.
But here is the Sacramentos Area Beekeepers Associations web address and you can talk to them and see when they are going to have another class.
(sacbeekeepers.org)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 02:15:01 am »
I am going to take an intermediate beekeeping class with Eric Mussen on May 3. The only other class I knew about was the beginning class with Randy Oliver.

Anyway, thanks for the info
Annette

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 03:01:18 am »
Hi,

I am taking the intermediate class also so I look forward to meeting you in person.  The class should be fun.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:18 pm »
Oh great!! See you there.

Annette

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 05:16:51 pm »
I am taking the intermediate class also so I look forward to meeting you in person.  The class should be fun.

Where and when is it?  Where and how can I sign up?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 05:27:34 pm »
Intermediate Beekeeping class May 3, 2008 Saturday 8:00 to 5:00. Instructor: Dr. Eric Mussen

contact Sacramento Beekeeping Supply at 916-451-2337 to sign up. $35.00

See you both there
Annette

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 06:22:50 pm »
What is Manzanita? never heard of it here in S Louisiana

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 06:55:58 pm »
Manzanita - Large evergreen shrub, sometimes a small tree commonly branching near base, with stout, crooked, twisted trunks and branches and dense, rounded crown as broad as high. Grows up to 20' or more in dry slopes and in mountain canyons, chaparral, foothill and oak woodlands, and in Ponderosa Pine forests. The handsome reddish-brown branches become twisted into odd shapes which are trimmed into collectors' items called "mountain driftwood."

Sorry I could not find a pic for you but if you Google it you can find some pic's. It is a beautiful bush And tree.