Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut outs to be done  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Cut outs to be done
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:55:45 am »
So I have just been swamped. The camera isn't always working right and I have a honey do list that is getting some attention and Macy's is almost done.

So I sent out an email to my local beekeepers association asking for help with this upcoming cut out. Why?

Because there are three hives in this area. The owner only knew of two.

So if you happen to be in South Florida next Sunday (May 25) you can join be on what is going to be quite an interesting day.

There are two hives under the trailer and one on a low hanging tree branch.

While I was there the hive on the tree branch swarmed right in front of me. It was incredible. I never seen a swarm before. And I will tell you, that you will hear before you see it. Because the hive got loud. Like train sounding loud. Then in an instant 30,000 bees in a cloud of black up and leave and head further into the swamp. I didn't get any pictures of that because it happened so fast.  But you can see some of the nice things I saw on my way out there.

http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=152&page=1

Sincerely,
Brendhan

PS. I need to get back to work sorry for the lack of posts.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Cut outs to be done
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:02:38 am »
When a swarm leaves, sounds like a plane taking off! Totally cool. The one I saw i never would have been able to get to anyways, so it was awesome to see it happen. Good luck w/ removals.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:37:14 am »
Hey all, Brendhan calls me the other day when he was over where he took these pictures.

"Hey JP, man, only you can really appreciate this. I'm 35 miles into the everglades in the middle of swamp!!! Surrounded by aligators, some as long as 12', this lodge or check station whatever it is, has three colonies of bees and a hornet's nest. The guy knew about two of the bee hives. I'm checking things out and I hear what I believe is a third colony! And I find a third colony! The bees seem agitated and they all may be ahb, plus I got this hawk of some type staring me down! Don't know its intentions! Gotta watch my back too as there are aligator tracks everywhere! I may need to recruit you and Dallas down here for some help! This will definitely be a field day for my students! Gotta go, talk with you soon, Brendhan."

I get another call not 10 minutes later!

"Hey JP, the big hive, the third one, just friggin' swarmed out man! Right before my eyes, left for God knows where! The noise they made was unfreakin' incredible! Gotta go, talk at ya later man."

The dude was stoked!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:07:00 am »
I finally did the cut outs. I did two of the three. I left the third one as it was not under the trailer and had swarmed a total of three times. IT seemed like there were not enough bees to survive a cutout so I left them alone. I will look again in a couple of weeks.

I have pictures to post I will do that a bit later.

I had one interesting thing happen on this cut out. I completed one of them had them in the box. Set the box on a stand in the yard. And they absconded right in front of me. They took off deep into the swamp. Win some lose some.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything