Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: adding a super  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
adding a super
« on: September 14, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »
10 days ago I installed a package in a 10 frame deep. 5 of the frames had comb ...the rest were empty. I think there is only 1 or 2 frames that they havn't built comb in. The Pepper Bush is just starting to bloom. I am concerned about them filling up space the Queen could lay in....should I add a super? It would be foundationless....just a bit of wax and comb along the starter strip.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
Re: adding a super
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:33:08 pm »
Forgot to mention....the "combine" have has all drawn comb in it....many of them with some nectar and pollen. I realize the bee count is going to drop until I have some new bees emerging....didn't want to cramp the Queen.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:27:56 pm »
If 8-9 frames are drawn out, and they are filling them, then yes, you can add a super. I personally would add another brood box, although technically anything they use for brood is a brood box.
  It doesn;t matter much in this case, but when talking about such things it is often easier to mention if you are dealing with deeps, mediums or shallows. In this case I am assuming you mean med or shallow honey super of a langstroth design.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:15:40 pm »
I have another deep to use as a brood box. I can put that on the hive that was a combine. Also have one drawn frame of nectar and pollen in the fridge for it...and part of a frame of honey.

I would have to put a med super on the other hive....(no more deeps at this point). I have foundationless frames that we pulled honey from (crush and strain) and they have a bit of comb along the guide. I could add a deep in the spring...under the medium. That would give me my other deep. If there is brood in the medium, once it emerges maybe they would fill it with honey.

I'm going to try for a 2 deep brood chamber...