Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extracting honey  (Read 2013 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
extracting honey
« on: June 12, 2005, 10:16:50 pm »
this will be my first extraction and I hear about not doing extraction on a humid day and to extract on a day that is atlest 80 degrees, i also heard about not all honey is capped, I dont have one of those refractor meters, I have taken 1 frame out of the hives and extracted it to see if it would ferment, I strained it through a stocking, it had some very small bubbles in it that made it look kinda cloudy but 2 days after it was light golden color and no bubbles.any advis would be appreciated. and some helpful tips too.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: extracting honey
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:02:43 am »
Quote from: TwT
this will be my first extraction and I hear about not doing extraction on a humid day .

Nothing to do with humid day. When you extract, you system must be so  closed as reasonable that aroma of honey stay inside.Also honey take in wrong aromas.

Often summer day is humid 90% . Can't help.

When all or 80% is capped, it will not ferment.  Little bubbles go into honey when you roll frames.  You must wait that they rise upp and also little wax rubbish rise to surface. There is often foam on te surface of new honey.

When you put greaseproof paper on the surface, it catch final rubbish and little bubbles.

When you extract it is better to do at once you have taken it away from hives or then you warm honey upp to hive temperature. Cold honey is very difficult to get out or go through the prosess.

In uncappind wax you have 20% honey. You must crush wax and let it flow in warm place.

When you keep honey in store, all containers must be covered.

Some honeys are easy to handdle and others are very stiff.

.[/quote]

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
extracting honey
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:08:42 am »
I've never had a refractometer.  I'm sure they are a nice idea.  I try to have at least 80% capped before I extract it.  Otherwise I leave it in the hive or, if I already pulled it, I keep it in a closet that is dehumidified or a house that is air conditioned and set the supers on blocks with no lid to let it dry out more.

In 31 years of beekeeping I've never had any honey ferment.

It's not often that we have a humdity that high, so I can't say how much that would affect things.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
extracting honey
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:15:16 pm »
If it's 80% capped, then I do the shake.

I shake the frame with the cells pointing downward and try to shake the honey out.  If anything comes out and splatters on the floor, I don't extract that frame.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com