Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newly registered in Cent FL  (Read 2817 times)

Offline yrots

• New Bee
Newly registered in Cent FL
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
Like most hobbies I take interest in, I'm late in the year getting started with this new undertaking. Currently building my 8 frame mediums boxes from lumber I already have to save money. (2 in college another daughter planning her dream wedding). Waiting for next month to try the local beekeeping club and doing a lot of on-line and off-line reading and watching of videos.

Dirk in Central FL
Dirk

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Newly registered in Cent FL
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:01:59 pm »
Welcome Dirk!

I'm pretty new to all of this too. I just joined this site earlier this week and I'm already learning new stuff.

I'm from Mims, where are you from?

Larry

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »
Central FL is a pretty big area Dirk, can you maybe narrow that down a little? There's quite a few of us crackers here :-D

Welcome!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline yrots

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:36:10 pm »
To be more precise, I'm in SW Orlando near Universal Studios.  I have been interested in bees off and on for several years and with the internet there is so much more information available and video and podcasts. My father used to keep bees with a partner in the early 40's before going into the Army for WWII. I'm trying to get with my brother to see if he can locate in some family papers the label my father had. I remember seeing it in a file on beekeeping he maintained back in the 70's.

Dirk in Orlando

Dirk

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:10:14 pm »
Thanks Dirk! I'm over by Deltona...glad to have you on board.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FLhomesteader

• Brood
    • Adventures in Florida Homesteading
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:26:14 am »
I'm "newly registered in Cental Florida" also. I'm in SE Volusia Co., south of New Smyrna Beach. I bought my bees from Scott/"Hardwood" just a couple of months ago. Thank you!!

One of my hives is still laying eggs, but the other (with somewhat more bees in the colony) seems to have really slowed down the larvae production. Plenty of capped brood & capped drones, though.

Have other Cent. FL beekeepers noticed a slow down in egg laying / larva production? Perhaps we're in between the flows?

This same hive has gotten more fiesty. Yellow jackets?

Thank you,
-Randy
Bought first 2 hives March 2011.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04:35 am »
Welcome Randy...good to see you here!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:26:51 pm »
Welcome Randy !

I am a little south of you and I have noticed a slow down in egg laying. I just checked them yesterday and was surprised that there wasn't more brood in some of them.

Larry

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:45:46 pm »
Our main flows are pretty much over so they will slow down a bit. There is almost always at least a little nectar coming in here though so they will keep building up just a lot slower at this time of year. The saw palmetto flow was pretty much a bust but get ready for cabbage palm!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 12:48:57 pm »
Scott, when do you think the cabbage palm will start. I have plenty of those here and I need something real soon. Larry

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 01:20:54 pm »
It'll be a while yet Larry...you should start seeing the bloom spikes in about a month but then it can take another month for them to open. If we stay as dry as this they might not produce very well either.

The cabbage palm (swamp cabbage) honey is usually pretty wet and can ferment quickly. It is normally sold as a bakery grade. I like it. It's darker and has lots of flavor.

Brazilian pepper comes right after the swamp cabbage and, knowing where you are, you better make sure to hold on tight!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline b reeves

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:04:52 pm »
Welcome Dirk
its never too late to start a hive in Florida
Bob

Offline Matthew207

• New Bee
    • Five on a farm
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 11:34:25 pm »
What can we expect after the peppers?  I'm hoping for some  kind of flow to build these colonies up!
So much for that low stress hobby I was looking for!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »
I'm not really sure how your pepper flow will go Matt....you're in a kinda spotty area for them. Down by Larry you could expect to fill 2-3 supers (med) within just a couple of weeks. After the peppers comes our dearth. If we don't get too harsh a winter this year the spanish needles should provide enough for them until the citrus flow in spring. Goldenrod should be good in your area and coincides with pepper.

Leave them with the honey they have made in the brood boxes (you can take the rest) and they should pull through our "winter" just fine.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907