Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: spring Harvest?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
spring Harvest?
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:17:38 am »
Hey guys this is my second spring harvest, I can't remember what month last year when the honey was ready....when do you guys yank the honey supers... I was just down at the hive ( so sad I only have one producing hive) and they have some capped frames. but not enough to dirty all the equipment ... I think in was june last year, or was it in july?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: spring Harvest?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:48:43 pm »
Slacker,
I'm down here in FL and I just pulled 4 full medium frames and 1/2 of a shallow from my hives yesterday. I will extract them tonight. I didn't pull all if the honey. All 3 hives had partially filled frames that I left on. My father in law is in PA near Philla. If you want I can call him to find out when he plans to pull the honey. He has about 20 years experience. The reason I pulled it was that the flow at the farm is over and I had to move them to my other home in Jacksonville where the flow is still on. I did pull 2 frames from the hive in Jacksonville. It had 2 mediums fully capped.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:39 pm »
I started beekeeping in Pennsylvania and would pull honey two weeks after the Tulip Populars stopped blooming. If there wasn't any honey on the hives at that time I would check in mid July or the first week of August to get the summer flow. I once pulled a batch of honey real early in the spring and got some Sasafras honey. Boy did it taste different :shock:.
  I just pulled five shallows and a half of a deep from 4 of my hives here in Port Orange Fl. I ended up with 15 gallons and left about the same on the last two hives.  it all depends on the area and the honey flow.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:48:11 am »
I pulled mid-June last year and was about 2 weeks late on it with the drought we had-a lot had been consumed from when I had previously checked. This year I'm playing it by ear again. Were getting some decent, weekly rains and a lot of clover is still blooming. I'm gonna shoot for the last week of this month I guess.

anything