Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: And I thought I was addicted to bees, lookie here  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
And I thought I was addicted to bees, lookie here
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:26:24 pm »
Well, along with my obsession with the bees, I have been totally consumed with chickens, eeks!!!  With only one colony left out of 9, I don't really have an awful lot to do with the bees.  This colony is building up well, and I am just leaving them alone for the minute.

I took a trip to a neighbouring town yesterday, because this dude had a whole whack of 1-1/2 year old layers (Isa Browns) for sale for $5.  Well, me being that rather skeptical gal, I really wanted to see what these were all about.  The birds looked healthy, the home was in a very affluent neighbourhood.  The only thing is, some of these birds are beginning to moult.

Since I sold about 90% of my layers (about 30 hens), I have a bunch of very sad egg order clients.  I needed to get more layers to satisfy these needs.  WHEN the time comes to move, I will sell these new bunch of gals to someone who I know wants them.  This breed of chicken lays very beautiful BIG eggs, they already were laying this morning 6 out of 10, not bad.

Anyways, the point of this is:

DO YOU REALLY WANNA SEE SOMETHIN' SCAREY?

Get a load of this bird that came here, she looks like she has been through the war zone.  I do know that in a few weeks she will be all feathered out and look beautiful again.  My Crele Maran Panadenseca (found out what Jackson is) rooster fell in love with this one.....go figure that, he has such beautiful girls of his own.  Beautiful day in this great life of ours, livin' it, lovin' it, and sharin' it -- health.  Cindi

Her name will be Goldie Beauty, smiling.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: And I thought I was addicted to bees, lookie here
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 12:43:07 am »
Oh my Lord Cindi, that is one scary looking bird! Run for your life!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:49:53 am »
JP, oh man, you make me laugh, I love that about you!!!  You say the most funnnneee ding dangest things, always bringing that smile to my face, thankyou.....Laughing that laugh out loud.  You keep life very interesting.  Heading off to hit the sack now, hope to be on the forum tomororow.  Goodnight, friend.  Beautiful days in this great life we are all grooving and loving to live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:32:25 am »
Aww, poor girl! I have 3 ISA Browns/Reds that are now about 6 weeks old. They are the friendliest of my 9 chicks. Come running when I call, like to be petted, are curious and the first in line for everything, all the others follow but don't like to be touched.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:26:03 am »
I think that one should be called lucky.

Looks she escaped the plucking machine.

:-D
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 02:11:51 am »
Turkins can look scary, which is what Goldie Beauty is.  They look like a chicken version of a dog with mange.  Some, as the picture denote can have the "bald spots" over other parts of the body than the neck.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:30:46 am »
Hee, hee, oh Brian sometimes your sense of humour makes me laugh my guts out.  Goldie Beauty is an Isa Brown (also known as Sex-sal-link).  She was in a barn with about 30 other of her nest mates.  They all look the same, some were moulting, others were not.

Goldie Beauty is not a Turken.  The reason that she has no feathers is because she has lot them all due to the moulting, there were a couple of others moulting like that, but not as badly as she was. 

I saw turken babies at our co-op the other day.  They are cute, the naked necks made them even more cute.  But I can't stand the look of an adult Turken and would never want that breed of chicken, I think they are freaks!!!  smiling.

This is another picture of her nest mates, I got 10 of them, they lay the biggest brown eggs you could ever imagine and I am impressed, smiling.

Did you see that post that I made when Isabelle was moulting?  She looked like a freak too, now she is totally looking beautiful, with all these clean and new white feathers.  I thought she was going to die until I figured out she was only moulting.

This is a site that I wanted to show to see what the Turken looks like

http://www.centralpets.com/photos/birds/domestic_birds/photo_dbd4937.html

And get a load of this one, this is a real Turken lurkin' chicken, ugileee as the day is now long

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/birds/domestic_birds/dbd4937.html

Hope you all enjoyed these ugileeeee pictures of these poor birds that have been bred to look like this.  Why?  I wonder that....have that most beautifully awesome and lovely day, loving our great lives, health.  Cindi

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 11:32:25 am »
Wow Cindi,

I almost bought some hatching eggs from someone but he told me that there is a chance there was some of his naked neck eggs in there.
I said no way then, I would need to knit them some scarves. They freak me out.

As far a being addicted to chickens you don't have to explain yourself to me.
I just finished assembling the flock I wanted with all the breeds I like and I have something like 18 breeds.
Chickens and bees are both fun to raise.