Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found a new way to control pest  (Read 2814 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Found a new way to control pest
« on: April 20, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
Hello everyone i was talking to a beekeeper and he told me something that shocked me he told me a way to catch wax moths and hornets around your hives. So i gave it a try and i have been catching all kinds of pest.

step 1 get a two litter bottle

step 2 put a cup of sugar in it

step 3 put a bananna peel in

step 4 put a half a cup of apple vineger

step 5 and a cup of water

Let it set for a few days and put a one inch hole in it and hang it from a tree near your hives and watch it catch all kind of bugs and moths i have two in my bee yard and i have caught a mess of hornets and moths it works well leave the top on the bottle and put the hole on the round part of the bottle.

TOM

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:15:23 pm »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 05:36:27 pm »
What does it do to the honey bees?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:39:00 pm »
Works great!  I used them last year and have them out this year.  The vinegar actually seems to keep the bees away.  I have caught more wasps, hornets, flys, moths than I knew were in the area.  There were some, what looked like, small black bees that were hanging around a little.  But only a few were in the trap.  I hang them near my hives.  I may have a picture around my computer somwhere.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
waxmoth and hornet trap
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:29:28 pm »
The thing I don't like about this trap is that you are not targetting a specific insect and that is not fair to the ones that wouldn't cause you any real problems that wind up dead in the trap. Also you are attracting insects and will wind up with more insects in your yard as a general rule when placing any kind of attractant.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 09:25:09 pm »
if you garden and if you've ever seen a wasp carrying one of those cabbage worms off to its nest you would consider them your friends. respect them and they will help you out.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 08:18:32 am »
All I've ever seen the traps catch is yellow jackets and moths.  Both are honey bee pests and I won't miss either one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 01:45:48 am »
The wasps and hornets that I caught were later in the year.  The only thing I've gotten so far are moths and large blue flys (not solitary bees) this year.  Since I got my feral hive in late July last year the hornets and wasps were all over.  I thought and still do and will think it a blessing when they do get the critters they got last year, especially after the higher than normal none bee stings that happened.  My tiny garden does have the normal visitors as do my flowers and herbs.   The way I see it if their population gets large enough that they scrounge my trap then they have run out of natural food and are becoming a nuisance to us and need to check out.  I haven't seen but one yellow jacket this year and she momentarily buzzed my 1st hive.  The red wasps are constantly trying to get in and getting their rears kicked.  Unfortunately some of my girls go with them.  Got to go as I just had a moth land on my monitor and I must satisfy my bloodlust....LOL...

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
BUG KILLIN'
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 06:42:34 am »
Having lotsa bugs around means that your enviroment is healthy.

Bugs attract birds, which are nice to look at and hear sing. However there are sometimes too many birds, like Starlings. Kill them, they are not native to here. Kill feral cats; They kill the birds that kill the bugs.

If bugs bother you, don't ever move to where I live.  Bug heaven down here.

Of course there are bugs that do, potentially harm us but generally it's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

Of course I'm sure that having one bug killin' bottle of something in your yard will not upset the balance of nature but folks tend to get bent outta shape when it comes to unwanted bugs. People get paranoid for no reason when it comes to insects.

Watch the Animal Planet for your TV viewing instead of Comedy Central, speakin' of animals... :(

anything