Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pictures from Brazil... Part 1  (Read 5159 times)

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Pictures from Brazil... Part 1
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:57:43 pm »
I have a alot of photos to go through, so I thought I would start with the first bees I found.
This was a feral hive that was cut out of one of the houses next door to where
my brother in law lives. I was told it was placed in this box with all the comb they could
salvage. They seem to like it, since I watched them coming and going for 2 days.

The bees are 10 feet to the left of this picture, in some high grass

The neighborhood

"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Pictures from Brazil... Part 1
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:15:21 pm »
Nice Pictures.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:56:15 pm »
great pics!!!
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:48:49 am »
the last picture is just..ooh, we don't see that every day, not even in pictures!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:36:55 am »
I had never seen the flower of a banana tree until now!

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 06:56:27 am »
Amazing, eh Mick? I got honey bees on coconut flowers coming up!
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:30:13 pm »
Newbee, I am sure that your "cocos" are bigger than mines. So, with your permission  :roll: I am going to post a minicocos-cocoteros flowers from the Lucky islands. Waiting for the vission of yours. :)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
I can´t help doing it.  :-D I have to post photos of bee on strelitzia and palm flowers from the Canary islands. Your tropical photos have brought a tsunami to my mind.

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 05:11:53 pm »
Almost the same abejaruco ,

"To bee or not to bee"

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 07:01:20 pm »
Newbee, you are a fantastic photographer.
I am going to change my camera...because I can change myself. :oops:

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »
Newbee, you are a fantastic photographer.
Not even close.   ;)
Someday, I would like to make a cover of a bee magazine.
That would make me happy.
I am going to change my camera...
Me too..I want a Digital SLR. $1,200 dollars..... :'(
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 11:38:17 pm »
I'm always a bit timid (although proud) to state the Beekeeping for Dummies cover is my photo, many new members do not know that  :roll: - but it is kinda neat to find out if you don't know. I never made a magazine cover though - although I submitted a few, they have a list of restrictions due to layout of TEXT and topical themes. If you look in the Beekeeping for Dummies inner back page, that Bee Culture Magazine cover image is MINE, but it was NOT actually published, it was used strictly in the Dummies book. This little photo in the book is one of my favorite, I chased that worker around the grass and weeds where I work and took about a dozen shots, this one was one of the better.

Here was the original layout for the Dummies Book - you will notice the worker if facing the opposite direction from the final cover image, so this image may be the only one out there showing the REAL image I submitted www.beemaster.com/bkd.html

My little 15 minutes of fame surely is the Dummies Cover image though - I doubt I'll ever get that opportunity again, to be a part of such a successful publication. I need to get my notebook PC (my old Dell one) I have thousands of images there and I'm too lazy to plug it into my 40 gig porta-drive to transfer over to any of my other machines.

The best image I have is a queen actually laying an egg - you see HALF of the egg as she is pushing it out of her - the image is really rare from anything I have seen elsewhere, the timing was purely accidental and I didn't notice the egg being laid until I had transferred the image into my PC. I'd love to share that here :)

Yep... A magazine cover would be sweet and Newbee, you have some awesome pics, meanwhile I don't even have a dang bee to my name - ugh. Really awesome images, I am really envious of your travels.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 10:04:18 am »
My wife did a lecture in LA a couple of years back and I went along for the free trip....I spent my days chasing bees and humming birds with the camera.... My wife later said that she was in the middle of a sentance when she saw me crawl past the window camera in hand....Said the whole room turned to look to see what she paused for.....So she had to explain that the crazy man in the flowerbeds with a camera was her husband :-P
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 11:14:43 am »
Newbee101 and Abejaruco.  Those pictures are simply astounding, such a nice little trip to places where we can only dream of being.  And the photography is primo!!!

John , you gotta toot your horn about your success.  Don't ever feel that you shouldn't.  If you don't toot your horn, nobody else will, cause nobody else knows as well as you, your successes!!!  Excellent.  Have the  best of the day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 08:57:06 am »
John, my husband (Woodchopper) said to tell you great job, that's one of his favorite beginner books, and our club just gave four to area libraries.  You should be proud and happy to have contributed to that book!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 09:07:33 am »
Very nice pictures, must be something seeing another country.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 06:33:37 pm »
Wait till you see the beach pictures Ted!  :-D
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 01:19:05 am »
Rainbeau:

Thank hubby for the kind words - I was asked to be creative and to stay away from the normal "Queen shots" that cover most publications. I really wanted something that showed normal worker activity and the pollen shot was a real stand out shot.

If not for getting really sick for weeks and weeks, I had about 2 dozen other pics to be in the book, as is there are many of mine in there but all black and white except the cover. Shame there was a tight deadline or it might have been a very different looking collection of photos :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything