Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kwazy Bees  (Read 3598 times)

Offline eri

• House Bee
Kwazy Bees
« on: June 14, 2008, 07:41:51 pm »
Who are these bees? I swear it seems to be the same bee. He (this is an assumption) flies around aimlessly, alone, hanging out around me on the deck. He flies in little circles. After 15 minutes of buzzing around, I get some sugar syrup and place it on the table. He ignores it. He much prefers my friend's ankles propped on the table. I spray him with sugar syrup. Maybe I can catch him and take him home. He doesn't flinch.

This is about the third bee I've seen on different days in the last couple of weeks act like this. Midday to late afternoon. Sunny. Definitely a honey bee. Definitely loud. I'm guessing it is a hopelessly lost drone. The hive is about 400 feet from the deck. Any ideas? What IS he doing? Lost? How long can he stay away from the hive?

Curious
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Kwazy Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:15:36 am »
Could be a drone honeybee, they are freeloaders.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:01:10 am »
It's a serious question. I was not aware that honey bees would exhibit this kind of solitary -- and seemingly demented -- behavior. If this bee (and the others I have seen at different times) was freeloading, then he was freeloading on our company only, since he wouldn't touch the goodies offered. There are also hummingbird feeders on both decks, and neither has attracted these strays; they just fly around in little circles making lots of noise. It's a bit difficult to carry on a conversation with a bee in your face, thus the attempt to entice him away. I can see how non-beeks would find this even more irritating than I do.

I think I'll try to catch the next one with my hands to inspect its gender. If it is indeed a drone, I can assure guests and neighbors there is no chance of getting stung, and perhaps remove the uninvited guest with my bare hands!

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:05:04 am »
That's one way, rather painful but obvious at once!  you could wear gloves & see.  When the girls get mad but don't have a real target they try to sting, you can usually see the stinger very easily. If it's a drone you won't get stung & can see how fast your company can scramble as you toss it in their "general" direction...heh heh :evil:  Ohhh, that would cut down on solicitors at the door...just gave myself an idea :evil: Thanks!!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:05:41 pm »
Heh, yea, I meant WITH gloves the first time! I didn't see a stinger but I wasn't THAT sure.

Better yet, put the drone in your mouth and answer the door with a wide HI bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:21:45 pm »
Heh, yea, I meant WITH gloves the first time! I didn't see a stinger but I wasn't THAT sure.

Better yet, put the drone in your mouth and answer the door with a wide HI bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-)

No offense but I suspect you are seeing carpenter bees, probably the males. See if they have a white or yellow spot on the head, like this: http://carpenterbeechamber.com/images/PhotoG7.jpg

They are more than likely nesting in wood members right where you're standing, this is why you are seeing them on a regular basis. I would find it quite odd that you would see drone honeybees in the same area on any consistent basis.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:35:57 pm »
I am 99% sure they aren't carpenter bees. I have plenty of those little buzzers who, I'm told by the previous owner, have lived in the eaves of one of the decks for a decade. I see/hear them often. They don't get in my face. In fact, they haven't been around much in the last few weeks.

The bees I'm talking about don't hang near the rafters, are smaller and not nearly so loud (but loud enough).
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:38:44 pm »
I am 99% sure they aren't carpenter bees. I have plenty of those little buzzers who, I'm told by the previous owner, have lived in the eaves of one of the decks for a decade. I see/hear them often. They don't get in my face. In fact, they haven't been around much in the last few weeks.

The bees I'm talking about don't hang near the rafters, are smaller and not nearly so loud (but loud enough).

Ok, but I don't think they are honeybees, can you take and post some pictures?

BTW, carpenter bees can nest closer to the ground than the eaves, they just need raw wood, or wood that needs painting.

...JP

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:42 pm »
OK, JP. THE BEE showed up again tonight about 6 p.m., right on time for the photoshoot, eager to contend for the American Bee Idol.

-- eri
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:42:20 pm by eri »
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:10:59 am »
  I'm really sorry Eri But I cant help but grin :-D
 You DEFINITELY have "BEE FEVER" like the rest of us now!
 And, I believe your question is a serious one...
I just cant help myself though..... :)
 I think its a drone......
 And, as you have probably already read, drones only purpose is to mate with queens.
 I think that, what you have here, is a drone bee who has fallen in love with you :-*
 Maybe you have a scent on you that makes him think you're a QUEEN!
You have a little "Bee Boyfriend" who has a gigantic crush on you!

But,... :shock:..Your going to "INSPECT ITS GENDER"???(...Uh oh,....I cant stop laffing and my wife is coming to see whats going on)..This little bee will be so embarrassed!
 Maybe you can get a set of binoculars or a zoom lens and just compare his eyes with another regular bee..A drones eyes are bigger.
 At any rate, enjoy his company while you can...He wont live that much longer and if he does find a "Bee Girlfriend" he wont be back to see you anymore. He will die after mating with a queen.
 I think if you explain all this to your friends they will not feel so bothered any more by the bee.

hey JP, can you make the picture come here?
Good luck eri!

your friend,
john

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:01:28 am »
Looking at the picture I'd say honeybee, female - very feminine looking.   Eyes aren't big enough and body isn't thick-set enough to be a drone.  'least nothing like my Italian drones anyway.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 05:35:05 am »
John, my friend --

This particular kwazy bee is not in love with me. This bee is becoming quite attached to my partner's foot, as you can see. He (my partner, not the bee) sees bees as enemies. But, you see, I have convinced him that she is a he, thus he lets the bee alight with glee.

Deejaycee, should this be a female bee, I'll have to tell my friend that she has chosen him to be her bee. A sign that he doesn't have to stand ten feet away from me on Saturday when once again I check the bees to see if they're building naturally.

-- eri

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 06:21:58 am »
Looking at the picture I'd say honeybee, female - very feminine looking.   Eyes aren't big enough and body isn't thick-set enough to be a drone.  'least nothing like my Italian drones anyway.

I agree.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 11:47:02 am »
I figured it out. Can't post the photos now because my camera is away at the moment.

The table on the deck has a glass top with a rippled pattern. From a distance, looks like -- WATER

Put some freshly washed pillows on the table yesterday. The Bee showed up almost immediately, landed on a pillow, and began sniffing. A little later I watered all the plants on the deck and a few minutes after that first The Bee, then 2 bees, then 4 bees showed up and started lapping at the little puddles on the deck.

I suspect my friend's foot had just enough moisture on it to attract her.

I'm guessing The Bee was a water scout bee who finally yesterday hit the mark and put the word out to her sisters. Maybe flying around in little circles close to a suspect surface wafts moisture her way.

Oh, and I confessed to my friend that HE was a SHE. He took it quite well  ;)

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran

anything