Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making up nucs tomorrow - help me get over my nerves  (Read 3436 times)

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
Making up nucs tomorrow - help me get over my nerves
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:30:53 pm »
Hi folks!

Haven't been around for a while as I'm flat out studying for my Cert in Beekeeping, which finishes in a month and a half, but meantime it's spring here in New Zealand and the girls have also been demanding a good bit of attention.

Sunday a bit over a week ago I grafted 15 queen cells, at least 10 of which have been accepted.  Tomorrow (Wednesday) I'll be making up nucs out of our two home hives for these cells to go into.

Some questions please to ease my nerves and help me get through this as smoothly as possible:

1 - Have I got my day right - If the grafts were done Sunday, is Wednesday the right day to nuc em?  I guess the question is if I'm counting ten days from grafting, is the grafting day 0 or day 1?

2 - Should I make up the nucs in advance of putting the cells in at all?  If needs be, I could make up nucs this afternoon, which would give them 24 hours queenless before the cells go in?  Or am I best to just bung em all in at once?

3 - should I close up the nuc and block the girls in for a while after making them up?  If so, for how long?  Theyre going into 3/4 depth four frame nucs, pine construction with the typical nuc round entry hole.  Temperatures here are expected to hit 22C tomorrow - about 72F, and I'll be making up the nucs around 3-4 in the afternoon.

4 - positioning of hives/nucs.  I can't move the nucs off site until the weekend.  They have to stay in the yard for four days after they are made up.  I'm worried about all the girls abandoning the nuc to go back to their original hive.   I'm thinking perhaps I should move the main hive (it will be reduced from five high down to one or two boxes high once I'm done) about ten feet away and sort of stack the nucs where the hive was originally to encourage foragers to settle in the nucs.   I think the 'glue' of having the queen with some brood in the original hive should see that hive alright, or should I worry about that depopulating as well?

5 - The nucs will be made up with one frame of honey, one of capped brood, one open brood and one of honey.   If I'm short of brood, which do I sacrifice including for right now - the capped or the open?  I can supplement with a frame of brood from the new site on the weekend, but it might be tight tomorrow.

NB - the hive I'm primarily making the nucs up out of is not the hive that has bred the queen cells - I have two in the backyard, so the nuc-making hive is bursting strong and hasn't been weakened by the effort of queen production so far.

Anyways,  really appreciate any suggestions you might have.   Very excited for this to go as well as possible.

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
Re: Making up nucs tomorrow - help me get over my nerves
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:42:26 am »

I forgot to tell you to use 1/8" hardware cloth/screen when you confine your nucs. It provides better ventilation than screen.
 :)Have fun.
Ernie
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:31:55 pm »
>1 - Have I got my day right - If the grafts were done Sunday, is Wednesday the right day to nuc em?  I guess the question is if I'm counting ten days from grafting, is the grafting day 0 or day 1?

Grafting is day 0.  No time has elapsed.

>2 - Should I make up the nucs in advance of putting the cells in at all?  If needs be, I could make up nucs this afternoon, which would give them 24 hours queenless before the cells go in?  Or am I best to just bung em all in at once?

You'll get better acceptance if you make them up 24 hours in advance but you'll get fair acceptance if you do it immediately.

>3 - should I close up the nuc and block the girls in for a while after making them up?

If you make them up with open brood combs you won't need to.  If you are making up mini mating nucs with no brood, yes.

>  If so, for how long?

Until the virgin should have emerged.  That would be two or three days.  Of course they would need to be in the shade and have some way to give them light syrup so they don't starve and don't overheat.

>4 - positioning of hives/nucs.  I can't move the nucs off site until the weekend.  They have to stay in the yard for four days after they are made up.  I'm worried about all the girls abandoning the nuc to go back to their original hive.

I leave all mine in the yard they came from.  But mine are a frame of brood and a frame of honey and if there is doubt about the number of bees I shake another frame of bees in.

>   I'm thinking perhaps I should move the main hive (it will be reduced from five high down to one or two boxes high once I'm done) about ten feet away and sort of stack the nucs where the hive was originally to encourage foragers to settle in the nucs.

I've never done that.

>  I think the 'glue' of having the queen with some brood in the original hive should see that hive alright, or should I worry about that depopulating as well?

Yes.

>5 - The nucs will be made up with one frame of honey, one of capped brood, one open brood and one of honey.

Perfect.

>  If I'm short of brood, which do I sacrifice including for right now - the capped or the open?

Both are helpful.  Open will anchor them there better.  Capped will repopulate them quicker.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:01:07 pm »

How are you doing with your queen production?
Ernie
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

anything