Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms -- what to tell your friends  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Jim Stovall

• New Bee
  • Jim Stovall
    • BeePROF
Swarms -- what to tell your friends
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:41:47 pm »
I realize this could be filed under "preaching to the choir" category, but it's a good time of year to remind ourselves to remind our friends and neighbors of the following:

Subject: Swarms

• If you see a swarm, don't panic. A swarm is generally a good thing.

• DO NOT use insecticide to try to kill a swarm. Bees are way to valuable for that kind of treatment.

• Swarms are fairly benign and unlikely to sting.

• Call your local police or fire department and ask for their list of beekeepers. Or call a beekeeping friend. Any beekeeper will love you for it.

• If you simply do nothing, the swarm is likely to go away.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Swarms -- what to tell your friends
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:46:28 pm »
good reminder  :-)

got a call from a lady a few weeks ago.  every year a swam lands in a tree on her property.  every year she keeps her son in the house for 3 days while she and her husband take a hose to the swarm to "make it leave".  she doesn't seem to realize that in 3 days it would probably leave on it's own, and that they are far more likely to be stung when they hose the thing,  than if they just left it alone.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:46:01 pm »
Hey, there is the "need bees removed?" arrow in the right top corner of the forum's page. You can tell them to come here =)

I haven't had anyone use that yet for contacting me for swarms, hopefully this year though someone will give me a call =D

Jake

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:23:44 am »
    Most of my calls come from the folks referred to me by the County Extension Service.  They get a list of registered Beeks every year from our states' Apiary Section.  I guess I can give my name and number to the local police and county sherriff offices also.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:04:33 am »
Don't forget the exterminator!!  Most of the time they will get called and then go in and spray them.  Talk to some of the small operators and they'll call when they get swarm calls.  most of my calls over the last couple of years has been from the one that i made aquaintance with.

the big operators don't really care much.
Rick

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:49 am »
Big operators care also.  I called Terminex and they were happy I called.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Jim Stovall

• New Bee
  • Jim Stovall
    • BeePROF
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:56:24 am »
Great suggestions, everyone. Thanks,

Jim

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 11:00:47 am »
I have had the most luck w/ the state Bee club website, police stations and exterminating companies. I had to wait until my third summer to get my first call. I think feral hives are finally making a comeback in my neck of woods and there has been extensive publicity about bees in NJ by the ag dept. The public is now calling NJBA which is great which is the biggest reason I am now getting calls. People also think I should pay them to take the bees.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 10:56:47 pm »
Thats rediculous that people expect you to pay for the bees.
I mean, they called you out there, because they don't want them there.

YOUR doing a favor for THEM. That doesn't make sense to me.

But then again, most people don't make sense to me =)

Jake