Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BEE BOX HAND HOLDS  (Read 7398 times)

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
BEE BOX HAND HOLDS
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:39:18 pm »
Here is my new method of cutting hand holds.

BEE BOX HAND HOLD RADIAL ARM SAW JIG
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: BEE BOX HAND HOLDS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:39:49 pm »
That's pretty nice, I couldn't see that as an excuse to buy yet another saw though. now I'm thinking  that there must be a way to build the same jig for a table saw.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:55:02 pm »
Sweet set up there.   I like it.

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:46:40 am »
I'm thinking  that there must be a way to build the same jig for a table saw.
I just drove down out of the mountains and I thought of that very same thing all the way home.  As long as your hands are far enough away from the blade at all times. It would be just like this jig, but upside down, sliding over the blade. It can be done. I am seeing how important this type of hand hold is, when you have to stack and store a lot of boxes. Cleats just get in the way. I don't wear gloves much, so they work just fine.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 01:08:09 am »
My brother-in-law has a much better tilt control on his saw, so we used a dado blade with a spacer to basically "plunge cut" the hold, then tilt the blade out.
the top of the cut was nice and flat but the "cup" leading down was a little rounded - it worked beautifully but we didn't get that factory-perfect clamshell.
I'm thinking some kind of guide just like a ripping fence but 90* the other way would give a brace to prevent kicking.

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:04:10 am »
I don't know if you have seen this video, but this is close to what you are talking about. However, it's too close for my safety zone. I would prefur it have a Kwic Klamp system, with a lever mounted at the back, with linkage that keeps your hands at least 8 inches from the blade, to slide it into the blade. I agree with you, that it can be done, and done safely. I just happen to be in love with my Radial Arm Saw and I wanted it to have a JIG all of its own. :-D
My Grandpa was a life long Carpenter. I worked with him every summer from age 13. He had a Radial Arm Saw and every new job, we loaded that heavy BOY into that old Ford Pickup, and off we went. He loved his Radial Arm Saw too.

Bee Hive Box Handle

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 03:21:21 am »
And then there is John Pluta. You gotta love John. I watch all his videos. But if I tried this on 100 boxes, and if I didn't cut off my hind leg, I would be in traction.

Beekeepers Beehive Hand Hold Improvement,Georgia Bees Beekeeping

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:52:18 am »
I like the sled much more than the freehand method - more power to him cutting them freehand like that (best I can do that way would be basically like a straight dado cut.)
I bet a set of kwik-clamps could be used like pusher sticks on the table saw jig. we've got some pretty talented bee box builders too - I forgot who it was who said he's got a cove bit that does it perfectly.

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:51:56 am »
You could figure the angle you need for a cove cutting JIG, put stops in the right places, lay the board in it at the first stop, turn on the saw, raise the blade a little, push it to the next stop, pull it back, raise the blade a little, push it to the next stop, until you get your required depth. That would work. I wonder if you would get a perfect 90 degree, flat spot for your fingers though? If not, a 90 pound deep would slip out of your hands?

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 06:21:19 am »
Here you go. It's called a Toggle Clamp. This would hold the work piece down and possibly work as a safe handle to push it through.

http://en.clamptek.com/products_detail/&productId=76e097a4-049a-4beb-93a2-0252c1eef3ae&comp_stats=comp-FrontProducts_list01-1283148952166.html

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:57:07 pm »
Does he cut the box joint with that skill saw?  If he does he is a better man than I!
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:15 pm »
  I've been using the dado for cutting mine. Clamp a block of wood to the table saw as a stop then set the box side against the stop and lower down on the blade.
  Leaves a nice rounded handle cut.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

anything