Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extractor question  (Read 33539 times)

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
Re: extractor question
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:32 pm »
using some type of tensioner is exactly what I am going to do let the belt slip at first then apply tension to have it go full speed after it gets the majority out.

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2011, 12:43:16 am »
You can't get a correct answer of the proper RPM's to extract honey because RPM's are only one factor in the equation.  What you are looking for is surface feet per minute.  But to be honest, I've never heard of the correct footage you need to be running.

SFPM is calculated by pi times the diameter in feet, multiplied by the RPM's.  The only thing is, the surface footage will be different for the top bar and the bottom bar of the frame, since they are at different diameters.

But I digress.

In regards to the homemade extractor, the fact that honey is acidic seems to have been overlooked.  If you are going to have a motor inside the extractor, it needs to be completely sealed.  Otherwise, the honey will burn it up pretty quick.  Heck, you are lucky if a radio in a honey house lasts a year, because the tiny honey droplets in the air will eat it up.

If it is a food grade machine you will have the FDA involved.  That by itself will double or triple the price.

Since when has the FDA had any oversight into equipment?

Here, even the local health department has zero authority in honey packing facilities or equipment.  (And only large packers are required to be inspected.)  It's covered by the Department of Agriculture.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2011, 09:56:32 am »
Since when has the FDA had any oversight into equipment?

Are you kidding me?  Any equipment used in the production of food or drugs must be validated.  A mom and pop shop that doesn't get inspected by the FDA has a relaxed set of rules (little exposure to the public).  A major corporation poses more risk to the public and if something goes wrong in the public sector a visit from the FDA is eminent.  If you arn't following the protocols and you get caught it will cost you.  And let me tell you it is all about records.
Heck, you are lucky if a radio in a honey house lasts a year, because the tiny honey droplets in the air will eat it up.

Pretty good reason to keep the rpms on the low side so it doesn't vaporize the honey.  I have had motors engulfed in hydro gels that would eat the epoxy off the floor.  Twenty three years and still running.  It makes a difference how you do it and what motor you use.

The only thing is, the surface footage will be different for the top bar and the bottom bar of the frame, since they are at different diameters.

You only need to be concerned with the the part of the frame that is at the outer most diameter.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2011, 11:49:10 am »
You can't get a correct answer of the proper RPM's to extract honey because RPM's are only one factor in the equation.  What you are looking for is surface feet per minute.  But to be honest, I've never heard of the correct footage you need to be running.

SFPM is calculated by pi times the diameter in feet, multiplied by the RPM's.  The only thing is, the surface footage will be different for the top bar and the bottom bar of the frame, since they are at different diameters.

I honestly never would have expected to find trig in beekeeping.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »
It's geometry and algebra, not trig.  ;)

We can probably find some trig if you really need it...

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2011, 12:34:05 am »
It's geometry and algebra, not trig.  ;)

We can probably find some trig if you really need it...

I won't argue that, for some reason some of those types of calculations were included in the beginning of the trig course I had recently. - I think  it was a warm up or refresher to prepare for some of the other functions.
be happy and make others happy.

anything