Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Condensation on the observation window this morning?  (Read 4030 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Condensation on the observation window this morning?
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:56:53 am »
I have not noticed it before but there was condensation on the inside of the observation window this morning. What do you think?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Condensation on the observation window this morning?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:01:36 am »
there's  moisture and heat in your hive.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:03:30 am »
Yes, but does it indicate a ventilation problem? Should I do something to correct this situation or is it OK?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:28:32 am »
If it's just briefly in the mornings, I wouldn't worry.  If it's all the time I would add a vent.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:28:00 am »
I had this plus mildew on the follower board. Propping open the back end cover seemed to help airflow.

Can anybody explain how to add vent holes and extra entrances in an occupied hive with or without power tools and without making the colony go crazy?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 04:41:52 pm »
Extra entrances is impossible without disturbing them as far as I can tell.  As for a vent, you could take a top bar and drill holes through it. Then add screening and put it in as the last bar is the 1st thing that comes to mind that wouldnt be trouble-some to the bee's.
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »
My standard method of reworking an observation hive:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm#working

"Whenever I need to rework the hive or do a thorough cleanup, I just put the frames into a nuc with the entrance at the same place as the tube with the tube still closed. In my case the nuc is on top of an empty deep box to get it the right height. If the entrance to the nuc is the same place, they quickly find the nuc. This gives me several days, if I want it, to clean up the burr, the propolis, rework whatever things were frustrating me, like making a feeder, putting in something to maintain the spacing, a hole to feed pollen, more or less ventilation etc. Then when I'm done, I just put the frames back in the observation hive, remove the nuc and connect everything back up."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:44:19 am »
What if it is a full-blown hive, or at least on its way to becoming one? I think from Jeremy's posts his hives are doing well and probably have built up quite a bit of brood by now. But, I will let him speak for himself :)

If I needed to rework venting in my own hives, what would I do with about 20 bars of brood and other comb?

Thanks!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:48:03 am »
they plug up the screens in mine and i have to take a paper-clip to the holes. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:25:40 pm »
What if it is a full-blown hive, or at least on its way to becoming one? I think from Jeremy's posts his hives are doing well and probably have built up quite a bit of brood by now. But, I will let him speak for himself :)

Both were installed May 9th from 2# Minnesota Hygenic packages. One has 6 huge combs from side to side, top to bottom, the other has 7 smaller combs. I suppose they are doing OK but I am a first year beek so have nothing to really compare them to but my other hives.

Jeremy