Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some Bees, Flowers and More  (Read 3272 times)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Re: Some Bees, Flowers and More
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 01:51:18 pm »
Impresionante. The world is full of beauty and perfect miniatures.
You have been working hard. Thanks.

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 06:04:09 pm »
those wood wasps are soooooooooooointeresting looking--
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:22:34 pm »
I've just learned that the Wood Wasp and whatever the green one are pictured above, are actually parasitic. Their hosts are beetles and groups and such that are living inside the tree. I suppose they are actually beneficial.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 05:15:07 pm »
oh my goodness, such beautiful creatures!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 11:24:15 am »
MrILoveTheAnts.  What wonderful pictures.  that wood wasp sure is a strange looking little creature now isn't it?  I loved the green one.  Parasitic, awesome, we need that to destroy the Western Pine Beetle that is destroying so many acres of pine trees in our British Columbia forests.  That beetle has caused widespread devastation.  The only upside to the pine tree loss is that the lumber is very special, they call it "denim" pine because of the bluish colour to the lumber  :roll:  Have a wonderful day, great life, love this life you're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 12:57:33 pm »
That beetle sounds awful. Sounds like good wood but I imagen it's full of holes from all the grubs eating through it.

I read online that the Green one is a parasite of solitary bees similar to it's size. They locate holes to solitary bees (such as the ones on the flower pictured above) and lay their eggs in the pollen while the bee is out. It's neat how similar Bees are to Birds. In both we find young sometimes helping their parents out with their next generation before setting off and rearing their own children.